Stringr or Stock Vid Side gig...

I recently had an older video I captured, that was sold on Stringr... albeit, it was from over a year later. I do get texts for requests from Stringr quite often (most of the time am annoyed by requests) ..but perhaps it is worth my time if it has historical value in gathering video...

Sold a few items for stock-video on Pond5, and ...I see people can make a great side income with it. I personally have just been so busy that I haven't been able to get video.

Is this filmmakers side gig? Gathering stock vid and being a Stringr runner? I wouldn't think it to be a side gig with potential if I haven't sold my work on two different platforms and seen it for myself.

It sure is better than Uber right? I don't think video quality/composition matters in 2021...people just want content (that relates)

Last edited:
It can be a good side gig. Don't know if it's better than Uber, but
it's closer to what we do, isn't it?

I still think video quality/composition matters in 2021.

It can be a good side gig. Don't know if it's better than Uber, but
it's closer to what we do, isn't it?

I still think video quality/composition matters in 2021.
Right on, what I was more or less suggesting is outlets (Stringr) like this are not focused on stellar composition and video quality, but rather just need B-roll relevant filler.

There is definitely a downside to doing this, at least that I have found, and it’s that you have no idea what narrative is being used with the video...for the most part though whatever request comes, usually it (should) fit the story requested, it’s just these days, you can take any video clip and they could flip it to whatever agenda the news sites are trying to present. I shouldn’t have issues selling video...but it sort of sucks not knowing what video you sold is being used for what purpose. To me that is a downside...

I think for stock video, composition is hugely important, the only work I have done that sells has been great composed video. (Usually extraordinary with various elements and motion) BUT I think just showing people walking can accomplish the same thing with a cell phone. Nobody wants flat video, no matter what lol, not to purchase at least.

For outlets like Stringr, they I think are just happy to have B-roll to populate their show cue at news stations.

I shouldn’t of lumped the two formats to sell video together in a post, I was just thinking aloud about side gigs with video and how they could actually work as aide gigs.

Last edited:
I think B-roll that focuses on stellar composition and video quality is much
more saleable than filler. But I have never even looked at what Stringer
offers so I could be wrong.

For a while I did sell B-roll to local news stations and they wanted high quality
images only.

But it seems you already know of a buyer and know what they want. So I think
it's worth exploring. Any side gig that is shooting video sounds like a good side
gig to me.

I think B-roll that focuses on stellar composition and video quality is much
more saleable than filler. But I have never even looked at what Stringer
offers so I could be wrong.

For a while I did sell B-roll to local news stations and they wanted high quality
images only.

But it seems you already know of a buyer and know what they want. So I think
it's worth exploring. Any side gig that is shooting video sounds like a good side
gig to me.
For sure, the better the video the better, but news stations are only looking for relevant content, the last thing they care about is quality...which...is why they could care less if news is captured from a cell phone or a Red if it fits the story. They just want filler...(by that I mean, video that fits the moment) No composition rules, no high quality lens, just content.

I am learning that stock footage requires that extra special high quality video no matter what to be sold.

TV news is souless, they are not getting any kind of Ray Farckas composition out of me in spot news lol

Last edited:
I should post a more prepared and researched reply but I will do that later, for now I just find it frustrating and annoying that I can sell 5 videos for $175 bucks (of a sequence) and 2 videos (that complete the sequence for $2.60 each. I’m assuming because it is under a subscription model. Under the adobe stock platform.

I made around the same per video on POND5 but recently saw I made $3.92 by a ‘dataset’ for Pond5 (didn’t even look yet because I’m annoyed) which, without doing research.. I sort of understand what a dataset is for AI.

I did a quick search and opted out of being part of a ‘dataset’. I haven’t looked into being low-balled on adobe stock yet. And I’m sorry, $2.60 per video is an absolute lowball payout!

I guess… like I said before I understand this better, just know that now is the times where a video can sell for $35 bucks… or less than a few bucks per same video, ridiculous.

And I do understand licensing costs and agreements, but no way did that first sequence I talked about fall under the same licensing use. Just stupid

Thanks for listening to my gripes and I definitely should do more research, but I guess by posting this, it is part of my research lol

Last edited:
Back