Strange discoveries

The past few days my general purpose computer, Predator 2, started making funny noises; bveeert,, bveeeert........bveeert, bveert ... It was driving me mad. I though maybe I had a hard drive going out or maybe I picked up a virus. I'm still running Windows 7 on this computer. So, I 'restored' the system disc to a few weeks ago to see if that would get rid of the problem. No such luck. I ran all kinds of virus scans. Nothing. I even thought that maybe my browser, Brave, was causing the problem, like it was searching my hard drives for passwords. I uninstalled Brave but that didn't solve anything.... Anyway, while Brave was uninstalled I switched to Firefox since I also have that loaded and use it for a lot of things. I came to IndieTalk using Firefox and was shocked to see that there were ads all over the place. Wow! I tried to adjust the setting for pop ups but the ads stayed. I did not realize how good Brave is at blocking ads..

So, back to the bveeert problem. You know what it turned out to be? My Blu-Ray burner!! I had a disc in the the drive and for some reason it was causing the burner to make funny noises. I wasn't burning a disc or playing one. It was just in there causing the burner to make noise. Then I started thinking about it, yeah, the sound was rhythmically different but it did sound just like the sound the drive makes when it's burning a disc, except it wasn't... Weird...

Last edited:
You can always upgrade to see less ads which supports the site (no ads are in the posts/in between posts/no pop-ups), but it's probably because you were not logged in to be honest.

No. I'm serious, indietalk. When I log in with the Brave browser - zero adds. When I log in with Firefox - adds-o-plenty. I just tried it to make sure.
Upgrading is what I will do.

No need to upgrade if you don't want to but there are less ads. The ones considered obtrusive are not seen, only a few fixed ones in non content areas. Good info on the browser however, thanks.

What I am guessing is one of your browsers has an ad-blocker extension and the other one doesn't. Or maybe it's built in, never used it.

Brave's hook is that it offers privacy. Here's what I see when I open it. Of course the count keeps growing every day..
Brave.JPG

Anyway, while Brave was uninstalled I switched to Firefox ... I did not realize how good Brave is at blocking ads..
Yeah, it's quite the assault on the eyeballs (and brain) when one sees the internet in all it's commercial glory, especially if one hasn't had to deal with unfiltered content for quite some time ... like what happens when I have to use my parents' computer.

Glad to hear that there is at least one other Win7 user out there too - the last great version of Windows. Unfortunately, I've started getting messages from Brave saying that they're going to stop supporting it soon. :scared:

Glad to hear that there is at least one other Win7 user out there too - the last great version of Windows. Unfortunately, I've started getting messages from Brave saying that they're going to stop supporting it soon. :scared:
I heard so many bad things about Win10 when it came out and for a couple years after that I did not want to switch over. I have another computer, Predator 3, which has Win10 and it hasn't caused me any problems at all so, either the Win10 stories were isolated incidences or the problems have been fixed. I still have no plans on getting rid of Win7 on Predator 2.. I like it!

I got the same messages from Brave. I'm just hoping they change their mind or, at least, leave the Win7 version operational for a while..

Back