Storyboard?

1st; why storyboard it? Is it that complex a scene, 3d heavy or something like that, that you're actors and crew wouldn't get it otherwise?

If it's a must; then sketch it out on anything you can. Who cares what it looks like, as long as you can explain it. Use photos off the net, draw in stick figures, arrows, etc .... You could even drop it on a timeline, combined with your other storyboards, and work out the timing, like an animatic.

But I still say, chances are you don't even need to bother.

Try taking pics/video of action figures or posable wooden dolls. Although not terribly sexy, I've used this technique to quickly layout complex sequences for a number of large budget features.

If you wish to draw, Manga Studio ($50 illustration software) has a 3D feature which you can pose and trace over to get your perspective & proportions right.

- Thomas

I've always been good at drawing, and the mrs is fantastic. However, my friend who I always work with couldn't draw a circle to get his grandmother's hip replaced. He simply draws silhouettes of everything, and he's had much better success being understood than me. Drawing a forest? Sticks with a cloud at the top. House? Square with a pitched roof. You don't really need to be Da Vinci to draw storyboards, unless you want to include highly emotive expressions. Outlining will do. As long as it communicates, then you've done it right.

There are a number of storyboarding softwares out there, even a few that are shareware, cheap or even free.

And, as sfoster said, stick figures will work just fine.

storyboard-sample.jpg

Back