Story from a novel?

Hi,

I was reading a fictional novel and in the story, the protagonist finds a news article under his mattress. The story that was in that news article seems like a great idea for a short film.

I'm just wondering if I can use that story without special permission. I'm assuming the news article is fictional as well because I couldn't find anything with google searches, though the novel is European and not recent.

That article is a very very small part of the entire book and the the author has passed away. Is it possible for me to use the story? What if I change it slightly?

Thanks

Are you sure about that? Its not just a story but a published novel that's won a nobel prize. Surely if I use a small segment from it its considered illegal?

Or if its not copyrighted it would still be plagiarism right? Can I avoid this by citing the original work in the credits?

A more detailed answer would be appreciated.

I'm really not sure.

I shouldn't have answered. I am not a lawyer and I don't know the
details of what you want to do. A story can be copyrighted - an idea
cannot. Plagiarism is entirely different (legally) than copyright
infringement.

"A more detailed answer would be appreciated. "

That's why lawyers exist.

Write your own story.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion. This is a legal issue so I posted it in the proper forum hoping somebody has had a similar question or problem. Hopefully somebody on here does know the answer. I'm not going to go to a lawyer and go through the effort of paying or even arranging a meeting with a lawyer for a simple short film that most likely won't get more than around 2,000 views on youtube.

And don't worry, I have plenty ideas of my own and am not intending on using other people's work as my own. I was just reading this book and that particular segment was so interesting I imagined it as a movie.

People make movie adaptations of books all the time, so I figured this is similar.

Last edited:
People make movie adaptations of books all the time, so I figured this is similar.
You're right. The difference is those people speak to a lawyer
and get the proper rights. If you can get the rights to the story,
you can adapt it.

If you take the general idea and come up with your own, original
version of it, that might be legal option.

from my understanding, you can adapt an idea from almost anywhere..you can be inspire by someone's work and can write your own story. In these cases, you don't have to get a lawyer..

why don't you think the story of that news article in your own way? you may come up with pretty much same but a different story...

Surely there's not anything wrong with it! I mean, he wants to use something suggested in a small part of the novel--not the story itself, not any text taken word-for-word, any not even an "idea," really (he's not taking any part of the story itself). Isn't that permitted?

Who's with me?

By the way, for a small youtube video or even a festival, where making money is not an object or even really possible, copyright violations (if this is even one) are hard to notice or enforce. I mean, they're not OKAY, but who the heck is gonna notice or care?

No matter what, stealing is stealing, whether it's a car or property rights. Just because it has no physical existence doesn't mean someone doesn't own it, and doesn't deserve to derive all the benefits of their ideas. While I agree that there are numerous shades of gray in the area of story ideas, as to "who the heck is gonna notice or care" my overriding thought and concern is that there are young, hungry attorneys willing to earn their spurs by stomping all over someone like, well, you. It may well be "a small YouTube video or even a festival, where making money is not an object or even really possible" but if that particular lawsuit lands on you it could really hurt. At best you could spend a few thousand hiring an attorney to convince a judge it's a nuisance law suit; at worst you could owe hundreds of thousands in addition to all those attorneys fees.

You'll have no problem if your character is an orphaned young man who lives with his aunt and uncle is told he has special powers. It's when his name is Harry or Luke that you start venturing into that wide gray area of copyright infringement.

Here's my question: does anyone know what the law actually says regarding intellectual property or whatever it's called?

Sure; they're called entertainment attorneys and it's their job to interpret the thousands of cases and millions of words on the subject. Anything anyone tells you on this or any other forum is pure conjecture and speculation, and those who do know will not give you anything remotely resembling a firm answer unless you are a paying client.

Anything anyone tells you on this or any other forum is pure conjecture and speculation, and those who do know will not give you anything remotely resembling a firm answer unless you are a paying client.

That's a good point.

But surely there's nothing wrong with being well-informed and trying to figure this stuff out for yourself? It's certainly cheaper than hiring an attorney!

Well, it's cheaper up to the point you get sued, I guess.

Is it in the public domain?
Try to figure this out, if the dude croaked a long time ago, some of his work might be in the Public Domain.
Check the internet and see if the book is in the PD, if it is than there is no need to worry about this.

Now with that being said, take the idea from the novel and work it and make it as your own.

Just be careful, and stay out of trouble ;)

Thanks for all the replies.

What I took from this is, I have to be really careful when taking actual material from another source, however if I take simply a concept and adapt it to my needs so it doesn't even remotely resemble the "inspiration" and use my unique characters, settings, etc. I am good.

Thanks for all the replies.

What I took from this is, I have to be really careful when taking actual material from another source, however if I take simply a concept and adapt it to my needs so it doesn't even remotely resemble the "inspiration" and use my unique characters, settings, etc. I am good.

Exactly! If you plan to write it yourself, you will see that when you begin writing the characters, setting and plot, it becomes more indepth, which expands the story from the inspiration.

Good luck!!

Back