Stop Motion

A friend of mine is planning on making a stop motion animation film starting next fall. I will be collaborating with him on it but feel his ideas for characters are not good enough. He is planning on using lego people but anyone can do that, hell my 11 year old sister did that on her ipod. He is looking at taking a more professional take on it. We are both wondering, Is there an easier way to get some armatures something like nightmare before Christmas or Corpse Bride by Tim Burton? I understand they went through alot of sculpting and what not but we are looking for some already made maybe where we can customize ourselves? And if anybody has had a previous experience on a stop motion film, we would really appreciate your sharing of your experiance as well.

Are you saying the characters as written in the script are not good enough or
that using Lego figures aren't good enough? With a great story and well written
characters Lego figures could be used to make a very good movie - much better
than your 11 year old sister.

I typed stop motion armatures into Google and found several places that sell
armatures. I must admit I didn't know these places existed so I'm glad I took
the time. Some excellent tutorials, too. When I did my first stop motion films I
didn't have anything like these places so I made my own armatures starting with
simple wire with clay and foam rubber. Before that I used the old, fully articulated
G.I. Joes that were available back them.

I'm sure the mods won't mind if I mention stopmotionanimation.com. This is probably the most comprehensive site on topic. They have tutorials on armature construction. I, like Rik, used wire for my skeletons, covered with foam-filled fabric *bodies*. To keep my puppets in place (atop thick styrofoam bases, lol) my wire would extend through my puppet's shoes about 4 inches.

Back