Stop Motion software problems

Hi everyone!

Im having a problem connecting my camera to stop motion software. My camera is a Sony DCR IP5E. It connects to my PC through a firewire port. It uses MiniDV to record which i can import through Windows Live Movie Maker just fine.

But when i try to get a live feed from my camera and onto my computer, it just doesn't show up.

I've used MonkeyJam and when i try to capture video, the program says "Menu Index Out of Range" even though ive created a new sheet and layer.

I've tried Stop Motion Pro and when i try to see my camera feed it says "Cannot refresh list."

And i've also gone with Animator DV. It doesn't give me an error message but where my video is supposed to appear, the screen is just black.

Anyone have any tips, advice or insight?

Thanks in advance!

The Sony DCR IP5 can import through the firewire port. I am 100% i am connected through the firewire port.

That's the problem here, everything is as it should be but i can not see my camera feed. I've tried figuring out the problem myself. Ive used help guides. And searched forums for the answer.

This thread is my last resort at the moment :)

hum.. maybe your camera has a setting .. seeing that your importing and not capturing.. maybe some streaming mode needs to be truned on? Also, I recall some issues with certain Firewire chip sets..

Has this EVER worked for live monitoring whats on your camera?

i went through all the settings i could find inside the camera but there wasnt anything related to a live video feed or even exporting options.

And no, this is the first time im trying to get a live feed off this camera.

im beginning to think its the camera itself that has compatibility issues. although it is a bit weird that i can import video from it through windows live movie maker but not get it to work with other programs.

thanks for thinking and trying to help anyway!

just importing files. i can not get a live feed in moviemaker.

ive read extensively about this camera now and they all say that the video recorded on this camera is not compatible with most of the software out there and has to be converted before it can be edited. But that is about the recorded video. The PC does recognize the camera so live feed should be another matter, correct? Or does the fact that the format is not compatible with most editing software also mean the camera wont work with most live feed frame capture software as well (like animator dv, stop motion maker etc)?

The PC does recognize the camera so live feed should be another matter, correct? Or does the fact that the format is not compatible with most editing software also mean the camera wont work with most live feed frame capture software as well (like animator dv, stop motion maker etc)?

I would think that if the format of the recorded files is incompatible with the program, that it would hold true that it would be incompatible with a live feed. The camera doesn't stop the way it reads and records. The way to test this theory would I guess be to find one program that you know for sure can specifically read your camera's files, and try it through that one. If it works, problem solved(if not fixed). If not, well, maybe it's time for a new camera?

From my reading I think you are out of luck. I don't believe that camera will ever work as a DV live source via the Firewire connection. That said, I do believe you can turn on USB streaming and use your software to capture a frame via the USB port. However, I imagine the image quality will be pretty low, you might get a better image from a new inexpensive web cam.

FYI: I tried USB streaming with my Sony handycam.. AWFUL video..

If you are OK staying with SD, then you have lots of cheap options on craigslist for any number of MiniDV (not micro DV) camcroders that WILL work as live feeds via firewire.

OK great! Well not great bc im out of luck here but great that you guys gave me all this info!

im going to find a new camera! I plan on buying the HVX200 when i get back to the states but thats not till June so i was hoping to use this little thing to have some fun doing stop motion in the meantime.

Thanks again for the help!

Where are you now? Id be surprised if you couldn't find a camera to work with for $50. Will your camera let you take snapshots.. bring in individual photos instead of movies? Your talking animation after all.. which is just single frames.

I talked to a friend and im going to borrow his camera for a couple days.

My camera does let me take snapshots but having a live feed is so much better in terms of seeing ur animation develop step by step. That way i can correct any mistakes or subtract or add frames on the spot instead of shooting a 100 snapshots at a time, transferring them to my PC and then realizing a couple of more frames wouldve made my characters head movement much better.

So yeah, im just gonna get my friends camera and use that for now.

It's so hard to find proper equipment here for a reasonable rental price. Cant wait to get back to the states! :)

How about you? I've seen you around the boards here. Any links to any work you've done?

Im off to bed here. We're six hrs ahead. Reply/post some links to your work. Id really like to see it.

Last edited:
I haven't done any stop motion animation in years.. I did some pretty cool (at the time) claymation with an old analog camera and a video capture card. Iv not seen those files for several years. I do have a lego stop animation that I just noticed yesterday! I might upload that to vimeo just for fun..

Im in the BOOT STRAP phase of my flim carear :) so I have lots of short takes and tests..

http://www.vimeo.com/user2695881/videos

ah yeah, i remember seeing "little brothers have it rough" a little while back when you were having issues with interlacing, i think.

the shot is pretty funny, the kids r cute and the angle your shooting from makes the hits look pretty real! nice work.

if u dont mind me critiquing a bit, isnt the footage slightly overexposed though?

in any case, goodluck with your stuff. look forward to seeing a short from you sometime!

The footage is fine, my post processing of it was off. :) I keep telling my self..

"less is more" "less is more" "less is more" "less is more" "less is more" "less is more" "less is more" "less is more" "less is more" "less is more"

But I haven't quite convinced myself yet.

heheheh, i agree with you. i think one of the most common mistakes other people make when beginning is they try and show off every technique they have knowledge. Distracts from the story and ruins everything.

Back