• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Stock Ambience Websites?

Hi there,

I need some basic ambiences for a documentary (mostly generic city noise) and am curious what are the best free, or cheap, sites for this?

Many thanks...

FreeSound.org

You'll have to weed through tons of trash to find the "good stuff" but that's the price you pay for free. You do have to properly credit those who created sounds.

BTW, major films such as "Children of Men" have used and properly credited sounds from FreeSound.

Here's s few of my sounds that I uploaded to FreeSound. I don't know if the city sounds are what you are looking for. Most of my ambient sounds serve as a base for further sound design.

http://www.freesound.org/people/Alcove Audio/

There are thousands of "Free" and "Royalty Free" sites out there from pretty good to really bad, and many are very mixed, a diamonds in the cesspool type of situation.

Oh, by the way, some free and royalty free sites will require royalty payments if your project reaches a specific sales level (i.e. 10,000 units) so be sure to read the licensing agreements thoroughly and carefully.

This is coming from a sound designer, and I'm not picking on free sound specifically at all, but "free" is not free, it just comes at a cost that isn't monetary.
Most of my colleagues and I agree on sounddogs.com as the go-to for one offs when we can't or don't want to start from scratch. They aggregate for a bunch of top shelf FX libs.
And as someone said, very often these sounds are jumping off points for something else we need to construct.
They're not free, but they're cheap. And you get what you need and you get out. So what's the value of your time and your work?

Back