Steadicam Merlin issue

I've just got a Steadicam Merlin for a ridiculously good price to use with my Canon 550d and Samyang 14mm and peleng 8mm(The steadicam is in the shot with this lens so its not usable :[! )

What's annoying me is that the metal plate that goes underneath the camera with all the wholes allows the camera to slide around with is quite annoying and dangerous as I'm scared my camera might fall of with the screw thread being so small. It seems to become loose fairly easily too.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this problem? It doesn't feel very safe having my camera on top of the Merlin supported by such grip.

Thanks

A quick release plate and adapter makes mounting your camera to a stabilizer much easier. Get it dialed in then you cna just pop your camera on and off, assuming you're using the same lens each time. Prep it for your 14mm (I have the same one, it's beautiful) and tighten the snot out of the screws and you should be fine!

It's a classic poor design on the Glidecam and Merlin. One screw is not enough to prevent the camera from spinning and slightly unscrewing itself throwing the whole thing off-balance.

I've been looking for solutions too for my Glidecam and everybody suggests to throw some gaffer tape between base plate and the camera (or the QR plate if you're using one and you should).

I've been using a Merlin for almost two years and very rarely have to retighten it. I do it up tightly at the beginning with a screwdriver, but if the problem persists try some gaffer like what TheArtist suggested

Last edited:
I've just got a Steadicam Merlin for a ridiculously good price to use with my Canon 550d and Samyang 14mm and peleng 8mm(The steadicam is in the shot with this lens so its not usable :[! )

What's annoying me is that the metal plate that goes underneath the camera with all the wholes allows the camera to slide around with is quite annoying and dangerous as I'm scared my camera might fall of with the screw thread being so small. It seems to become loose fairly easily too.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this problem? It doesn't feel very safe having my camera on top of the Merlin supported by such grip.

Thanks

I have a steadicam Merlin (Mk I), think it is the best piece of equipment in my armoury and assume you mean you bought the Mk I. I use it with a VG10 which is a fantastic combo (ergonomics, nature of camera etc...) but have also played around with it for the usual Canon DSLRs - a 550d, 5d and 7d.

It is pretty stable as there are two screws - a fixing screw and a locating pin to stop the plate sliding around. If you are talking about only one screw holding it in place, I assume you mean the other one is missing (the locating pin) which will make the camera slide around on the plate.

It looks like this: http://www.videogear.co.uk/Stabilis.../Steadicam-Merlin-Locating-Pin/prod_1602.html - if you don't recognise it, you need one.

The lack of locating pin will also make the plate 'unscrew' itself and you will drop your camera. Sure, the little pin is not particularly stable and it is important to occasionally tighten the kit under normal circumstances but it is generally stable and there should be no sliding around.

If this is not the solution, let me know, show me some piccies and I can diagnose, all of this presuming you have a MkI Merlin Steadicam.

Gorilla, I have Mk 1 as well and use a DSLR. It doesn't have a locating pin hole (annoyingly) so I just have to do it up nice and tightly. But as I said previously I've rarely had it come undone, despute only having one thing attached to the bottom of the camera

Two screws are always better than one.

That said, you shouldn't have too much issue from a single screw, assuming you've done it up nice and tight (these need to be tightened with a proper screw-driver, as opposed to finger-tightening). The more you move the camera around on it's plate, the more likely it is for the screw to come undone.

I'm not sure if you plan to or have ever attempted a low-mode with a single scew, but it's not something I'd suggest with only the one!

If you do it up tight and you're still worried, look into getting a second screw, or the aforementioned locating pin, but you should be okay with just the one.

When I'm Camera Assisting I find i have to re-tighten base plates onto camera dovetails many more times than should be necessary, just from tripod heads that have single screws (and expensive ones too).

Gorilla, I have Mk 1 as well and use a DSLR. It doesn't have a locating pin hole (annoyingly) so I just have to do it up nice and tightly. But as I said previously I've rarely had it come undone, despute only having one thing attached to the bottom of the camera

Good point and d'oh * slaps forehead * - of course - I remember now why I went with the VG10. It was this small element (usability with a Merlin) plus a few others which I thought would make it a better camera to shoot movies with.

However, from recollection, I always popped the locating pin in place to stop 'catastrophic' movement but do not know if this is appropriate.

Out of sheer curiosity, how is the Merlin and your DSLR? I love mine - absolutely the best tool in my armoury.

Out of sheer curiosity, how is the Merlin and your DSLR? I love mine - absolutely the best tool in my armoury.

Very good, I've had it around 18 months or so now, but more than 50% of my use has been just in the last 6 months.

I guess I've given up trying to trim it properly, I know from instructions I've read that it isn't all together perfect, especially with the drop speed (or whatever its called).

Any shoot that has a bit of movement involved I'll bring it and often as long as there are no locked down shots then I will just use the camera on the Steadicam the whole time. I'm very curious to spend a few weeks with a Glidecam as I'd like to compare them. There aren't any reviews really out there comparing them and I wouldn't mind trying one

Very good, I've had it around 18 months or so now, but more than 50% of my use has been just in the last 6 months.

I guess I've given up trying to trim it properly, I know from instructions I've read that it isn't all together perfect, especially with the drop speed (or whatever its called).

Any shoot that has a bit of movement involved I'll bring it and often as long as there are no locked down shots then I will just use the camera on the Steadicam the whole time. I'm very curious to spend a few weeks with a Glidecam as I'd like to compare them. There aren't any reviews really out there comparing them and I wouldn't mind trying one

Coincidentally, I know a pro DoP who borrowed my Merlin to make the comparison on a 5D MkII. He preferred the Merlin.

However, I just want to get to the next level of kit with the Blackmagic 4k etc... but it is heavier and I want to see how it performs on a steadicam. I could maybe buy the 4k and then the 2k for the steadicam.

This will probably be in Jan 2015 all being well.

Yeah. And then it's a whole different thing if you add the vest and arm onto it when you've got something a little heavier / holding for longer. I know it happens a bit with the glide cam but I've only ever seen it in the example video on a Merlin

Of course, much prefferred, but it seems DLSRs do not have the option, at least the Canon ones I've worked with
Yes, I believe most DSLRs only have one hole for a screw. As long as it's done up tight, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

However, I just want to get to the next level of kit with the Blackmagic 4k etc... but it is heavier and I want to see how it performs on a steadicam.
I hope you'll be using lightweight lenses ;)

Back