Starting a Production team.

So me and my friends are making shorts together and we thought becoming a production company would be cool. But since we can't make an actual company we decided "team" would be a better word.

So we are getting some funding from one of the members to buy us some more basic equipment. It's not much but we are hoping to expand on equipment. We are hoping to able to work with other people in our high school and also doing our own projects.

My position is as the head-writer/director/DP. We are hoping to expand to possibly one day becoming an actual company once we get more experience and better equipment and portfolio. Our production teams name is "Shadow Mend Films"

Just wanted to share the news and was hoping for possibly advice on these types of things from others.

Thanks,
Blanc/Noir head of the Shadow Mend Films Production Team.

We basically did the same thing, except called it a company anyways. My suggestions would be:

-Make a website ".com" they make you look super professional.
-Get free business cards from vistaprint.com they also make you look super professional. (free just pay shipping)
-Make a bunch of shorts and get used to each other and how you guys work together.
-Enter the local film festivals and the ones in your nearest big city. There are always tons of them you just have to look.
-Also check out film contests there are many many many of them. Just google search film contests.

Hope that helps, and if you ever need any help you can shoot me a PM :)

Thanks L.I.F.E.. We know each other well but not necessarily in a working sense, but yeah we're going to be having a meeting soon to discuss possible things like a website and such.

We're still working on our first short though lol. But hopefully it all works out.

good luck Noir,

Yeah just call your self a company. When you get some time and like $15 or what ever, you can make it official by getting a business license and opening a "Doing Business As" (DBA) bank account. Then you can have checks with your company name etc..

If you need to keep growing, you set up a LLC (limited liability corporation) and boom, your in the big leagues..

Back