• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Starting a new screenplay?

Hello all,

I'll start by saying I am in no way experienced with writing screenplays and just a small amount of directing. I am trying to learn honestly and I'd like to hear advice from all levels, novice to expert so to speak.

So my question is this:
What is your general process when first conceiving a screenplay? Is there some motivation that sparks a torrent of writing or is it something more based in keeping a notepad of scenes you want to weave together somehow? I'm very interested, so have at it.

I think you'll find that everyone has their own method. Some people like to plan every scene in detail, others plot key scenes and fill in the gaps later, while some people just like to start writing and see where the process takes them. There's no right way, just whatever works :)

I think you're looking for personal opinions?

I go about writing mine by searching for inspiration... kinda. I don't get up one day and decide to go looking haha. It's 2014 and I spend a LOT of time on the internet so I read a lot of stories and watch a lot of things.

These get me inspired and I write... therefore most of my writings tend to be adaptions and not entirely original...

but yea, that's where I start from.

The process goes a little something like this

funny-weed-pics-32-612x372.jpg

1005495x.jpg

Mdma.jpg

wild-magic-mushrooms.jpg

WIKI-LSD.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrUvu1mlWco

Start small with a tiny seed of an idea. A theme, problem, or a quirky character. Water it, care for it, let it grow until you have something that begins to look like a budding story. But always start small and let that simple theme resound throughout your screenplay.

Happy writing to ya.

As far as the very beginning process. Here is some advice that I have followed, personally. You'll also find this advice in many books on writing.

Get a piece of paper and just start writing out all of the ideas you currently have, or have had for stories. They can even be just a scene you had an idea for that isn't really linked to a larger story, yet. Just start listing them all until you have basically emptied your brain of all of those ideas.

Then, just start to go through the list and think about each one for a bit.

Next, you have to be really honest. Look at this list and ask yourself: Which of these ideas are stories I personally would be interested in seeing? Which ones would I want to check out at a film festival if I read about it in the program, just based on the idea?

Also, ask yourself another question: Is this idea a movie? You might have an idea that might be better served as a novel or a play, or a web series or television show.

Once you have decided on a story, there are many different ways people approach the writing process: A "just get it done" vomit draft. A general outline. A detailed treatment. A scene by scene, beat by beat outline.

I would suggest, at the very least, have an idea of a beginning, middle and end for your story before you start.

With writing, especially if you are a beginner, I have always said that the best way is the way that gets it done. Beyond that, there are literally hundreds of books and teachers and blogs and websites out there with methods to get from idea to finished screenplay, novel, etc.

One last word of advice, which might not seem like it relates: Set a deadline, now. For example:" I am going to have a completed first draft of my screenplay on September 1st."

Good luck!

Last edited:
As far as the very beginning process. Here is some advice that I have followed, personally. You'll also find this advice in many books on writing.

Get a piece of paper and just start writing out all of the ideas you currently have, or have had for stories. They can even be just a scene you had an idea for that isn't really linked to a larger story, yet. Just start listing them all until you have basically emptied your brain of all of those ideas.

Then, just start to go through the list and think about each one for a bit.

Next, you have to be really honest. Look at this list and ask yourself: Which of these ideas are stories I personally would be interested in seeing? Which ones would I want to check out at a film festival if I read about it in the program, just based on the idea?

Also, ask yourself another question: Is this idea a movie? You might have an idea that might be better served as a novel or a play, or a web series or television show.

Once you have decided on a story, there are many different ways people approach the writing process: A "just get it done" vomit draft. A general outline. A detailed treatment. A scene by scene, beat by beat outline.

I would suggest, at the very least, have an idea of a beginning, middle and end for your story before you start.

With writing, especially if you are a beginner, I have always said that the best way is the way that gets it done. Beyond that, there are literally hundreds of books and teachers and blogs and websites out there with methods to get from idea to finished screenplay, novel, etc.

One last word of advice, which might not seem like it relates: Set a deadline, now. For example:" I am going to have a completed first draft of my screenplay on September 1st."

Good luck!

Thanks ahennessy and everyone else for the super in-depth answers.

Assuming you have a kernel of a concept to pursue along a three act structure, start at the most screwed up point in the whole story - end of Act II Part 2, before Act III begins.
Work forwards to the resolution.
And...
Work backwards to how the situation got so screwed up.

Sit down.
Rough it out.
Start filling in blanks.
Connect all the bones together.
Flesh it out last.

Structurally the story needs to be sound from the beginning.

Read some good Hollywood screenplays first.

Then decide on whether to write your own screenplay.

I'd advise writing a 10-15 page Short first. Get it made. Go onwards from there.

An original idea is key. Ditto writing a compelling story in 10-15 pages.

I got lots of notebooks with ideas and explanations of my ideas written. I write down every idea that gets stuck in my head, and sometimes these evolve and wants to have their own life outside the notebook.

I often get the ideas spontaneously, but they are always related to the mood I'm in or the thoughts I'm having. So they most often just evolve in my unconsciousness and suddenly appear in my head.

Then I write them down immediately, and start thinking more about them. What do they mean? Are there any substance in them or are they just brain farts?
I often think a lot, write a little, and if the idea continues being good, I begin writing drafts or outlines of the story. I write character descriptions and I often write "fake" short stories for them to see how they'd react in a given situation.

And when I begin just go around in circles, I begin writing the first real draft. I often do this drunk so that I can forget about my high expectations. Then I read and edit. Take some time off. And repeat this (without getting drunk further on though). If I don't make it into a movie, I don't consider it finished, but as soon as the footage has been captured and edited, I consider the process done. Until then it's still work in progress.

Last edited:
I got lots of notebooks with ideas and explanations of my ideas written. I write down every idea that gets stuck in my head, and sometimes these evolve and wants to have their own life outside the notebook.

I often get the ideas spontaneously, but they are always related to the mood I'm in or the thoughts I'm having. So they most often just evolve in my unconsciousness and suddenly appear in my head.

Then I write them down immediately, and start thinking more about them. What do they mean? Are there any substance in them or are they just brain farts?
I often think a lot, write a little, and if the idea continues being good, I begin writing drafts or outlines of the story. I write character descriptions and I often write "fake" short stories for them to see how they'd react in a given situation.

And when I begin just go around in circles, I begin writing the first real draft. I often do this drunk so that I can forget about my high expectations. Then I read and edit. Take some time off. And repeat this (without getting drunk further on though). If I don't make it into a movie, I don't consider it finished, but as soon as the footage has been captured and edited, I consider the process done. Until then it's still work in progress.

Quite helpful and thanks for leveling with me! I also enjoy a couple of drinks when I'm first starting to put ideas on paper. Helps the inhibitions from getting in the way of creativity!

Everyone's different.
Personally I would just say, If you have an idea, write it down. Keeping a notebook or something next you you while you sleep so you can write down any ideas you get during the night from dreams etc is also helpful.

Back