SSD problems

If anyone is good with hard drives, here's my issue:

I rented out my Blackmagic cinema camera and SSDs to someone. When she came to pick up the camera I did a quick demo to show her everything was working fine. I told her I already formatted the drives using Disk Utility so they were ready for her to use.

She immediately went home, shot some test footage, then tried to reformat them again herself and somehow screwed everything up.

Now the drives won't mount on her iMac or my Macbook Pro. When I plug them in via USB to SATA wire cable, they make weird digital noises coming from the drives themselves. One of them literally does nothing when plugged in, the other one shows an error that it cannot be recognized.

When I put them into the camera, it just says "No SSD"

How can I reformat them or restore them if they aren't mounting?

Can you see them in the OSX Disk Utility?

SSD's shouldn't make any noise though.. if you're positive the SSD is actually making noise, you may need to replace it.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a linux or windows machine? If so you might be able to blow away the partition and format as FAT so that it's mountable by your mac again, then kill that and reformat to HFS+

But it kind of sounds like your SSD is fried.. is it new enough to be within warranty? If so, rather than fussing with it, probably best to just RMA and get a replacement.

thanks for the help so far...

other people have reported an almost inaudible electrical hum on their SSDs, but mine is relatively loud. It's like a faint 56k modem. haha

the lady who borrowed my drives said one of them she tried to format herself, but the 2nd one all she did was plug it into her computer and something immediately went wrong. They were both working fine minutes before she plugged them in. They are less than a year old.

I will have to try using a friend's PC to see what we can do.

Back