• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Specific tips and advice, please?

Ok so I'm currently in planning for my first feature, which I will begin production on next year. I have the idea of the film, what the basic premise is etc. but I need some advice/tips. The film is predominantly based around a chase/run sequence, which will almost all be in real time (film duration is roughly 80-85 minutes). Does anyone have any tips or advice for writing this sort of script? There is obviously a sincere lack of dialogue throughout, which is why I am struggling. I have read about a 'page a minute' kind of thing with scripts, but I doubt that applies here.

Thanks for any help,
Jack

Well, you want to create interesting characters that the audience cares about so that the audience feels something when the protagonist is in danger. This will help create tension, and get the audience invested in the film

Cut out unnecessary bits. Do you really need that explosion or extra fight scene?

Make the dialogue realistic. Before making your screenplay "final", and sending it out, have actors or friends read the lines you have written out, and see if it sounds the way you want.

What genre is it? What is the emotion you are trying to make the audience feel?

Find a clever way to lead to the climax of the film. Sometimes writing backwards, end to beginning helps.

Bring a notepad everywhere you go, and write down any ideas you get.

What is the message of the film? Why should people watch the film? How is it different from other films? Is it a good story? I am interested by the characters?

Have as many people as possible read the screenplay as possible. Make sure it's not someone who will lie to you just to make you feel good and confident. Get real, honest friends.

Good luck! :)

Forget that idea for the time being and try to make four or five shorts each four or five minutes long of something remotely relevant to that eventual goal.
The practice will benefit you greatly.

Scene 1 of that 80-85min feature is what?
Plan it. Shoot it. Post it. Get feedback.

Move onto scene 2.
Rinse and repeat.

Back