• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Special Seed Floating Shot: How to achieve?

Hi all,

Wondering what tools I need to create a short shot of dandelion seeds floating up in a field. My first thought was to do it in reverse, but am curious if there is a way to capture the actual lift of seeds from the ground/field?

Would love thoughts and insight, am up for trying different techniques to achieve the shot.

Thanks!

Get a shot of the ground, without the seeds (plate shot). Then, I would get a shot of a seed (perhaps two or three, to speed up the process) on a black background. Put the plate shot in After Effects or right to your timeline. Overlay several layers of the seed shot on top. Use the Screen function to get rid of the black (just like adding gunfire FX). Use each layer's motion or position points to put the seeds in different spots of the frame. Animate the motion to make them rise.

CF is right.
It's the best and simplist way to make it work and look real, because it is real.

Try to do as much in camera as you can.
Fixing in post is just time consuming (I know from first hand :P ) and an inspiration killer.

Back