Space image lost

A while back I saw an image in a news story. It was a sparkling cone, from some kind of telescope, looking out into the universe and back, of course, into time towards the Big Bang. I wanted to use this in a thing, and am now at the point where I need it, and I can't find it. I assumed I bookmarked it, but I search and search. and can't find it anywhere. I'm finding everything except this . . . cone. Did I imagine this thing? I'm still searching, but I thought that maybe someone else has seen it. Thanks.

Last edited:
How much of a while back? I don't recognise the description, but it sounds like it might have been one of the images associated with the James Webb telescope, possibly a representation of the alignment and calibration of the multiple mirrors that make up the main "lens".

Hey, Celtic. Thanks for taking the time. It was early this year, a few months or so ago. It was a new image, from a new, I think, telescope. I thought it must have been the James Webb, but it doesn't seem to have been. It was like a triangle, from left to right, with stars twinkling--maybe an animation, although my impression was that it was an actual image. There was even a youtube thing. I just assumed I could easily find it again, as one does. But I just cant, lol, and it is, to me now, kind of a mystery. Anyway. If I find it I'll post again. Thanks again. :)

Hey, Celtic. Thanks for taking the time. It was early this year, a few months or so ago. It was a new image, from a new, I think, telescope. I thought it must have been the James Webb, but it doesn't seem to have been. It was like a triangle, from left to right, with stars twinkling--maybe an animation, although my impression was that it was an actual image. There was even a youtube thing. I just assumed I could easily find it again, as one does. But I just cant, lol, and it is, to me now, kind of a mystery. Anyway. If I find it I'll post again. Thanks again. :)

Have you tried searching your personal history? If it was only a year ago you should be able to find it here

sfoster -- you are a genius :)

The Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument DESI in Arizona, U.S., has created the largest 3D map of the universe. Incredibly, DESI has only been building the map for just seven months. The map created accounts for only 10 percent of everything it plans to map in the next five years. DESI's primary goal is to reveal the mysteries of dark matter. And it has already uncovered strange dark matter patterns in the universe

1651285869716.gif

Last edited:
Lol. --
Thanks. The scale of this thing: 1800 megaparsecs. I had to look it up: 1 megaparsec = 3,261,563.8 light years! And not stars, but galaxies.

And now that I've found it again, i have to try to understand it :)

but it sure is pretty.

Last edited:
Back