Sound Recording Question

hello

I was wondering if anyone might be able to lend their expertise to a problem that I have (this problem may also not be a problem, i might just be ignorant)

anyway

I've recently invested in another microphone for my set up

I'm currently using a Sony HVR-A1E

it has two XLR inputs

right

I've attempted to input two mics into the camera at the same time

when recording, the sound from each mic is separated into two channels

now, i dont seem to be able to find an option that allows this two channels to record at the same time in stereo. the signals from each channel separate into left and right. so channel one, my ambient mic records solely on the left, and channel two, my dialogue mic records only on the right

i was hoping that each channel would be able to record in stereo

i'm able to mix paste the two together afterwards in a sound editing program, but i'd rather not have to go to the trouble each time

is this the way it has to be? am I missing something? should i just be recording the two separately anyway?

:huh:

when recording, the sound from each mic is separated into two channels

That's exactly what it's supposed to do.

now, i dont seem to be able to find an option that allows this two channels to record at the same time in stereo. the signals from each channel separate into left and right. so channel one, my ambient mic records solely on the left, and channel two, my dialogue mic records only on the right

That IS stereo.

You have two audio channels. It seems like you are asking if you can sum both audio sources onto both audio tracks. Why would you want to do this? It would just add MORE ambient noise on your dialog tracks, when the whole point is to record the audio as cleanly and as free of ambient noise as possible.

As Alcove said, stereo is one right and one left channel. You cannot
record both the right and left (stereo) onto the left channel. What
is happening (all the audio from the right XLR input being recorded
on the right channel and all the audio from the left XLR input being
recorded on the left channel) is they way stereo works.

It sounds like you want to have four full channels of audio - a left
and right on the left and a left and right on the right.

i agree with both....stereo requires 2 tracks...you can not have stereo on one track and that is what it seems you want to do.

and i wouldnt record in stereo anyway for dialogue....one for dialogue and one for amb track would be nice...but again...not really a good use for your second track..

if you are shooting overs and the actors are overlaping or there is a big split that makes for a tough boom move...throwing up the second mic on a boom and grabbing the over over the overlap lines in a shot would be a better use of the second track. Or if you had a wires one 2 actors it would be better to have split tracks to isolate the two...

save all your panning of tracks for your mix...unless you were recording music i wouldnt worry about stereo for film work.

Stereo needs at the least two chennals. I guess your meaning may be this,
teh signal from each mic can be recorded in both channels instead of recorded in single one channel.
this needs a mixer. but I dont sugget you do it in the site. you can modify in studio for mixdown.

Another explanation

Henry Spencer said:
Whilst you would like to record in stereo, remember that your mic with XLR connection is only a mono connection. So it will always record only a mono signal. :yes:

What may be confusing you Henry is that when you have only one mic connected to input 1, the signal is spread across both the left and right channels. You'll see on your XLR adapter on the A1 that you can select either CH1+CH2, or just CH1. In the latter case (just CH1), bear in mind that this is not a stereo signal. It is still only a mono signal (because your mic is only mono), but it is being recorded onto both the left and right channels. If you split these channels, they would be exactly the same. With CH1+CH2, two mono signals are being put onto two mono tracks (left and right).

So, you are no worse off by using two XLR inputs at once, as your XLR inputs are only mono anyway.

Henry Spencer said:
i'm able to mix paste the two together afterwards in a sound editing program, but i'd rather not have to go to the trouble each time
Unfortunately, that's what you will have to do if you want to record two separate signals. They need to be split up and panned to the centre again to get them to sound right. But, as I said, you are getting exactly the same audio, you just need a slightly different workflow to split them up. ;)

Back