• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound problems...

Well I started editing my footage from last weekend's shoot and realized while I started syncing my audio (I use a rebel t3i for video, and i get audio from a Zoom H4N and Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun mic) that for some reason the sound coming from my shotgun mic is only coming out of the right speaker on my computer, and when i plug a pair of head sets directly into my computer it only comes out of the left side (i've tried multiple headsets with all the same results).

And its not just in premiere pro that the audio is coming out on one side. When I go to my raw audio files saved on my computer and listen to them via windows media player they do the same thing.

I've never had this problem before. Did I do something wrong when I recorded the sound? Can I fix this?

Thanks.

Well I started editing my footage from last weekend's shoot and realized while I started syncing my audio (I use a rebel t3i for video, and i get audio from a Zoom H4N and Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun mic) that for some reason the sound coming from my shotgun mic is only coming out of the right speaker on my computer, and when i plug a pair of head sets directly into my computer it only comes out of the left side (i've tried multiple headsets with all the same results).

And its not just in premiere pro that the audio is coming out on one side. When I go to my raw audio files saved on my computer and listen to them via windows media player they do the same thing.

I've never had this problem before. Did I do something wrong when I recorded the sound? Can I fix this?

Thanks.

I am no sound guy, but as far as i know, this is normal. It's in Mono configuration if you plug it in! You just have to convert your sound file to Stereo and it will be like you want it, on both speakers!

From what you're saying, you may have just recorded only in mono. I don't know if the Zoom has the option to switch your channels but you can't definitely fix this in post.

For Premiere, you'll have to copy the entire audio onto another layer. In the Audio Effects tab, I forgot the exact name but it's an option to either switch channels or fill left/right. Try messing with those.

thanks guys i fixed it, and yeah I must have accidentally had the zoom recording mono, because usually it records just fine and when I play it back on my comp I have no problems. I'll have to mess with the settings on it later.

The mic is MONO...it will always record that way. All you need to do is adjust the pan on the track if you want both channels...and WHY ? we have stereo at least tohear your creation. Play w/ it. when the speaker is on the right, have the dialog on the right, when the speaker is on the left, ..left IMO

Dialog in films is always in mono. 99% of the time it is panned center in a stereo mix or assigned to the center speaker in a surround mix.

If you recorded the production dialog onto two (2) tracks you should use only one of them. If you have a blank audio track you should delete or mute it, it probably has a little noise on it. I don't know what the function is in Premiere, but in Pro Tools there is a Split Mono function which splits a stereo track into two discrete mono tracks.

If your dialog is "wandering" between left and right you have problem somewhere; the odds are that your speakers are connected to your computer incorrectly.

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php

I agree with Alcove Audio, dialogs always in mono and without panning (just in the center) , the signal from the mic is always mono but some camcorders has an stereo mic in minijack , in this case you must to reply the same signal in both chanells to avoid noise in the channel without audio signal (you can do this with a special cable) and delete one channel in postproduction.
best regards
gustavo

Back