Sound only appears in left channel

Hello everyone

I've borrowed a Sony UWP-v1 and I'm about to shoot a short documentary project tomorrow. I've just installed Magic Lantern on my Canon t2i 550D, and I've never tried this wireless microphone before.

My problem is that sound only appears in left channel. When I use built-in mic it appears in both channels. Am I doing something wrong with the Magic Lantern settings or on the Sony UWP-v1 receiver/sender? :huh:

Thanks in advance.

Your camera's built-in mic is probably stereo whereas the Sony, like most other mics, has a single capsule and is therefore a mono mic. With a mono sound source, to get the sound to come out of both speakers, to make it appear like it's coming from the centre rather than the left or the right, you have to pan it to the centre in your NLE.

G

To expand on what APE posted....

The audio input of the T2i is stereo; the jack is TRS - Tip-Ring-Sleeve. The output of the UWP-v1 is mono. The output jack of the UWP-v1 is 1/8" mini-pin - TS or Tip-Sleeve. When you insert a TS jack into TRS plug you will only connect to one channel, usually the left if everything is wired properly.

The diagrams shows a 1/4" jack, but the principle holds:

trs-ts.gif

As APE mentioned, you will have to split the stereo audio track from your T2i into two (2) mono tracks. Then mute or delete the empty/blank track, and pan the track containing the audio to the center. Dialog tracks should be mono anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I was just worried about whether or not it would affect the post (like, if sound quality would be more quite or just less good by simply panning it). But it seems it doesn't matter whatsoever. So it's all good! :)

you using balanced input? Due to the connector you can only get one balanced input into the cam with ML and it only appears on one channel. There is no adaptor or way around this if in balanced input. If you are using the input as a standard stereo input you could run an adaptor but at the risk of it falling out or degrading the signal and screwing up both channels

Back