• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound Issue

Hi friends recently i finished 30 mins film for the final project. I have sound problems which i want to discuss. There are many scenes in which there is hissing. We recorded sound via boom mic now the problem is suppose if there is a scene of a room. when we shot with one camera angle sound is fine but as we placed the footage from other camera angle it had hissing. i dont know why this issue has arrived. Any idea and suggestions?

Another question can we put the boom mic on table or something to record the voice. Because on many occations boom mic operator got tired and he was willing to put the boom mic on table which we didnt allowed but i was curious that if it had been placed on table will it create any problem?

Will be waiting for guidance

Regards

Please let me clear this thing for the final time i know the importance of sound and i have never ignored it. Please now this thing is irritating me when any one says that i ignored it. I have not ignored it but it is the lack of experience that i am facing issues. And i hope every one know there is a big difference in ignoring something and in having lack of experience.
This is not a personal attack on you. We are writing on a public forum and one of my missions - and it seems of the other audio folks here - is to hammer in the idea that sound is important to the filmmaking process. So if I appear to be repeating the obvious or even beating it into the ground it's because others have not gotten the message.

As an example - Last fall I was paid for a preproduction consultation and I laid out step-by-step in writing all of the things that should be done on the set and my requirements for the delivery of the materials for audio post. When I got the edit several months later and loaded it in for editing (it took them three tries just to deliver the audio post materials in the proper formats) it was obvious that not one of my criteria had been met. It was obvious that they did not retain a production sound mixer & a boom-op; when I asked if I could contact the PSM they hemmed and hawed. Then they were appalled at the bill for production sound clean-up. There were many other problems as well, but you get the point.

Alcove Audio as you said :
it seems of the other audio folks here - is to hammer in the idea that sound is important to the filmmaking process.

Well that really hammered, but not my mind but my emotions :). No doubt i am learning but i try to keep the basic rules in mind and this rule is very clear to me about sound. So i was just little irritated. Anyways even i am sorry as your intentions were not to personally attack me. But some one was before you also said the words identical to you so i had cleared that i didnt ignored the sound. Anyways any suggestions specially regarding how to control hissing

Anyways any suggestions specially regarding how to control hissing
All the answers are above. Boom-op AND sound mixer WITH headphones, monitoring the sound. Back-up sound. Playback. If hiss only exists in playback, in only one take, problem solve it.

On my last short, I didn't do a back-up on set, but I did the rest. I had a career sound mixer do my sound, and experienced boom-op, both with headphones, of course. She routinely did playback to check things. The sound was perfect.

Even if you do everything right issues can arise! But the chances are slim.

Back