Sound Design for 48HFP

Woohoo, the 48HFP is one month away! This is a fun time of the year for me. I've done this quite a few times. Initially, I was super-competitive about it. I wanted to win. I crafted strategies that I thought could help me win.

Now I just don't give a fuck. At some point I realized that I don't make films in order to be able to say that I'm better than other filmmakers. I make films because I enjoy making films. And so that is what the 48HFP has become for me. I have zero agendas. I just want to have a fun weekend, and then have even more fun when it's screened in front of a live audience.

For audio, in order to compensate for the extremely tight schedule, I thought I might plan to use ADR for the entire film. When we finish production, I'll get to work editing. And while I'm editing, I'll have a sound-person responsible for recording ADR. Obviously, this will be difficult to do, since they'd be working with raw footage, and not the locked edit, but I think it's possible to pull off. The same person would also be responsible for recording foley and building a soundscape, all of this happening while I'm cutting picture.

This is of course the wrong way to make films. Which is exactly what makes it fun. Any ideas on how to make audio best on an extremely tight schedule, with no real resources?

OH SHIT! I just realized that Foley is a sound effect. And by competition rules, pre-recorded sound effects are allowed.

And that means that I can select a small handful of locations and record a bunch of foley for that location, in advance. During production, all I'd need to record is ADR, and we'd basically treat it like wilds.

Damn, this idea might actually work after all. I'm switching back to the original plan. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Seriously, though. Seeking advice. Not whether or not I should do it. I'm doing it. But how to do it best?

For each location, I can basically build a soundscape in advance. By competition rules, I can't edit the soundscape in advance, but I can at least record the necessary components.

We're going to be largely taking advantage of public spaces. VERY public spaces.

Back