Sony VG10 moiré

chilipie

Pro Member
indiePRO
I know quite a few people on these boards are considering buying the VG10 when it comes out. I came across this footage from it and thought it could be quite interesting: http://vimeo.com/15261804

The problem seems at least as bad as it is in video from the Canon DSLRs, if not worse. Would definitely put me off choosing this over a Canon, especially considering the already higher price and lack of progressive frame rates.

The megapixles is pretty low for this camera compared to the T2i or 7d and 5d Mark II. I think the T2i looks better but of course has some limitations via rolling shutter effect and a few other limitations.

VG10 has a 14.2 Megapixle Sensor. The T2i and 7d have a 18 MP sensor. The 5d Mark II has a 21.1 MP sensor. If I was going to spend the money for the VG10 I would get the 5d Mark II or the 7d first. Or the much cheaper option the T2i. I like the idea of the VG10 but it needs a larger sensor I believe. What is your thoughts.

Last edited:
MegaPixels is a moot point when it comes to video comparisons for the T2i/5d/VG10 - all of them output still images way in excess of 1080p - all of them are throwing away pixels to create a 1080p image - the only difference in quality will be down to how they do that - sadly, none of these devices downsample the full- size image (which would help a lot with moire) - the Canons are notorious for 'pixel binning' which can create aliasing artifacts in the footage - I've yet to hear of the VG10 creating aliasing so they may be using a different method.

Back