• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

sony vegas problems

Maybe I just need to watch even more tutorials, as I am still learning much about sony vegas pro 8 with no prior knowedge of vegas. I am editing a very short short film, and the footage seems to hesitate. One way to describe it is when youre watching an online video and it may not play at a normal speed the first time because it seems to be loading, except with me it hasnt been getting better. I used an old vhs camera (dont woory I just got a new one) and I had to capture it onto my computer on windows moviemaker because sony vegas doesnt apparently work with the dazzle dvd recorder .(it said it wasnt able to capture and online in a post someone said that the dazzle must not work with sony vegas, so I assumed that was the case) I transferred it from moviemaker to vegas, and have edited it here and there, and I just basically almost finished, but I dont know what to do about the speed., I dont know if itll be fixed once I render it, or if I need to change the frame rate or something. Please help if possible. Come to think of it, I think it became a problem after it went from being captured on moviemaker to being transferred to vegas.

Also, I added a film effect under video fx, I believe, and it made it look like an older film with the grain and all. I now want to change that, as I dont think it fits the setting well. I saved the project and exited out of vegas and didnt decide on the change until I later reopened it. How do I undo the effect now? I tried the "reset to none" setting, but it doesnt change. I dont know if I need to do something when the window pops up for the effect, (I tried saving and deleting the preset) or what, or if I need to do something completly different. How do I undo it?

I know good lighting on the set is vital, but we were on a time budget and it was in the evening. It isnt completly bad as Im telling the sotry of two subjects coming together in a parallel fashion(cutting back between one each of them as one gets to the other eventually. There would be a break, it wouldnt just go from light to night in an instant on the same subject), and you can only tell by one of them as they are by windows. Is there any way to improve the lighting somewhat on vegas? Another option for me is to insert a title saying "many hours later" as it would work with the movie fine, it just wasnt my original idea.

Appreciate it!

OK, I'm a Vegas user and recently upgraded to the Pro version after getting by with the Studio version, so I'm no expert, but I'll give you my thoughts on this.
1. Speed- Movie maker is the last thing you want to use for making movies. If I remember cirrectly it only exports in .wmv file. First, I'm not sure why Dazzle doesn't work, but I know it works with Pinnalce Studio, but Pinnalce sucks and I've had every single version of it since Studio 7. With that said, you would be better off getting a digital converter through ADS technologies, I use one similar to this one and have had zero problems with anything I do -http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV-191-EF/intro/USBAV_191_intro.asp?pid=USBAV-192-EF .
From what I can tell, your issue has to deal with the file being in the very low resolution .wmv file. What you need to do us either save it as .avi, .mov, or at the very least, .mpg2. AVI and MOV are both uncomressed video that don't lose very much quality, if any. MPG2 is ok since you're using VHS tapes anyway. Problem is, MovieMaker doesn't offer those formats if I remember correctly. Look on the Vegas website to see if it's compatible with the Dazzle, otherwise, return it and get the ADS one.

2. Undo the effect- when the window pops up after you click the FX tab, you'll notice at the very top of that window that there is a tab you can simply click and it turns the effect off, don't feel bad, it took me a while to figure that out as well. But you can add multiple FX and the tabs will simply line up, then you can turn on and off the ones you like.

3. Vegas is an editing program, it's limited on what you can do. as for lighting, you can add Brightness and contrast, but it's not going to get you the results you're looking for. You'd be better of trying this in After Effects which is a compositing program, not an editor.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Last edited:
Back