• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sony Vegas preview lag

Has anybody here gotten this too? I searched online and it seemed like a pretty
common problem with the program, but nothing I found online actually helped me.
Hopefully one of you guys can help me, I have a bunch of footage and this is stopping
me from making any progress :grumpy:

Thanks

I get lag in Vegas, either editing the AVCHD files from my camcorder or the HD .mov files from my dSLR. I'm 100% certain that it's due to my computer not being of a high enough spec. You should check this out, make sure your system can cope with the HD footage.

What spec. is your machine? It won't help me too much, as I don't know enough about computers, but it'll sure help somebody else give you a better answer.

I can play HD YouTube videos, because I belive they are hugely compressed. Editing is a different kettle of fish. From what I can gather, you want at least 4GB RAM, a Quad-Core processor of some sorts and one hell of a fast video card! Unfortunately, that's about as helpful as I can be! Sorry...

Hopefully, someone will help you out...

AVCHD files are extremely difficult to edit natively, as your computer has to think about and render each frame.

I edit my AVCHD files in Vegas by converting them with Neoscene software from Cineform first. Otherwise I can't.

you definitely need a good pc to handle direct editing of avchd files.

my desktop is an amd phenom ii x6 1090T (6 cores), with 4gb ram and an nvidia 470gtx video card. i can edit multiple tracks of avchd from my hfs20 (recorded at 24mb/s, xv color, etc) with no problems using the preview whatsoever.

my laptop on the other hand, while fairly competent, skips frames constantly during preview playback making it more or less unusable. my laptops specs are intel core 2 duo T7500, 3gb ram, and an nvidia 8600gt. it can handle multiple firewire cams, edit sd video etc, but i cant do avchd editing at full speed.

you can try shooting at lower quality settings. 24mb/s is pretty much overkill if your target is youtube which even at 1080p is only 3.7mb/s. ie. its roughly 6 times more data to work with full quality raw avchd when compared to youtube.

How can I convert my footage into an easier to edit format?
I'll do that to my current footage and record in a lower quality from now on.
I think I was recording in 17mbps and the next lowest on
my camcorder is 15. Thanks for the help guys :D

Back