SONY OR PANASONIC??

Panasonic. I don't care for Sony's frequent refusal to adopt blooming industry standards and insistence on creating their own exclusive formats. Also, I've had several pieces of Sony electronics and the quality has not been as good/durable as Panasonic. However, I've not had video equipment from either, so if you are looking for camera-specific feedback, I can't help with that. My camera is a Canon ;)

Follow up - The two guys who actually SHOOT most of our video footage, however, DO use Sony cameras and the quality has been good. Paul has had a Sony Handicam for probably decades and he loves it.

Last edited:
I like Sony better. Sonny is slow to adopt other industry things, pushing their own instead, but panasonic has been too. I've never been much of a panasonic fan though, they never seem to put buttons or switches or options in the right place.

Most broadcast companies use sony or ikegami cameras.

If you don't like sony's price point, I say JVC. They've always seemed more consumer minded. I've used their cameras and love them for normal video applications.

Of course, for all of my movie stuff I use my Canon 7D.

We've just got a Sony NEX-VG10 to shoot our feature with and I'm loving it - I picked up a Sony 50mm f1.4 to go with it and the quality is breathtaking - when we shoot we're gonna run the HDMI out uncompressed to either an Atomos Ninja or a (rented) NanoFlash.

That said...

If we had the money (which we don't) - I'd have gone for the Panasonic AG-AF100 - it's a more refined camera than the Sony and much more 'pro' orientated - of course, it's 2.5 x the cost of the Sony without a lens.

For our next movie (assuming Sony/Canon haven't brought out their own AF100 killers), we'll most likely either go with the Panny or possibly RED.

Only shot on Panasonic (HVX200A). It's getting retired though, if the AG-AF100 is out by my next shoot, that looks like a possibility. I ALMOST shot on a Red for the last film, but had trouble finding an editor who could handle it, and my producer was terrified of the workflow.

Aegis,

Any thoughts on the 24p pulldown out of that camera? Or have you tested yet?

Hi David!

I'm in the UK so I've got the 25p 'E' model - haven't really had a need to drop the footage down to 24p (and if I did, it's a lot lazier here than doing a 3:2 pulldown :))

I'm doing a shoot outdoors this coming Sunday - I'll post some footage up if you like...

Hi David!

I'm in the UK so I've got the 25p 'E' model - haven't really had a need to drop the footage down to 24p (and if I did, it's a lot lazier here than doing a 3:2 pulldown :))

I'm doing a shoot outdoors this coming Sunday - I'll post some footage up if you like...

Doh!

And the award for stupid question of the day goes to ...

ME!!!! :clap:

I'm sure we'd all love to see test clips. Had forgotten about this camera until recently.

Back