Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V help

So, I bought this camera because I'm on a budget. My girlfriend also wanted to start vlogging and at 300 bucks, it was a good deal. It takes great pictures and has a good video. But there is one thing that it doesn't do, or I just cant figure out.

Basically, I want to know if there is a way to blur the background while taking video. Is there a way to manipulate these kinds of camera's lens?

So, I bought this camera because I'm on a budget. My girlfriend also wanted to start vlogging and at 300 bucks, it was a good deal. It takes great pictures and has a good video. But there is one thing that it doesn't do, or I just cant figure out.

Basically, I want to know if there is a way to blur the background while taking video. Is there a way to manipulate these kinds of camera's lens?

You talking about this one, right? Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V

Not a lot you can do, really. Took a quick look at the lens, and wide it can go to 3.3 ... which is better than the stock on a Canon Rebel ... but with very little in the way of manual control, there's several limitations going on.

You could maybe find some kind of sweet spot for a look that works for you, by using a DOF Calculator or similar. But yah... for controlling that depth of field you ideally need a bit of aperture control going on.

You have any examples in mind, btw? :)

Zaco, sadly, your biggest problem isn't lens aperture, it's sensor size. The HX10V's little 1/2.3" sensor is too small for the shallow depth of field/blurred background look.

You'll need to step up to larger sensor camera to get more control of your depth of field - sorry.

For $300, there aren't really a lot of large sensor options beyond the 4/3" sensor 1080/60i $300 Panasonic GF3, or, if you want a larger APS-C sensor, the 720p $310 Samsung NX 100.

Good luck,

Bill

Last edited:
Back