• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Something's not quite right here (drone footage)

I'm creating some fake "drone" footage for the end of the music video I'm producing, and something's just not quite right with it. I have a few ideas on what it needs, but this is kind of my first real attempt at compositing footage like this, so I'd like to get some more opinions before I spend a lot more time on it.

It's only about 7 seconds long, and you can check it out here: https://vimeo.com/76448978 (password is "drone" without the quotes).

I'm creating some fake "drone" footage for the end of the music video I'm producing, and something's just not quite right with it. I have a few ideas on what it needs, but this is kind of my first real attempt at compositing footage like this, so I'd like to get some more opinions before I spend a lot more time on it.

It's only about 7 seconds long, and you can check it out here: https://vimeo.com/76448978 (password is "drone" without the quotes).

2 dinky little, immediate thoughts for what they're worth. No idea if this is useful but:

1. It doesn't seem to move like a drone - it moves in one direction in a straight line and 'feels' strange because of it.
2. Needs more droney graphics on the screen like a little radar image in one corner, something saying 'Drone mark VI, Rand corporation' somewhere else etc...

Suspect you can do more about the second point than the first.

2 dinky little, immediate thoughts for what they're worth. No idea if this is useful but:

1. It doesn't seem to move like a drone - it moves in one direction in a straight line and 'feels' strange because of it.
2. Needs more droney graphics on the screen like a little radar image in one corner, something saying 'Drone mark VI, Rand corporation' somewhere else etc...

Suspect you can do more about the second point than the first.

Yeah, the first part is pretty well out of my control at this point (originally we were going to have an RC helicopter type thing to film this part, but had to make do with a zip line). But I'll work more on the second part.

Checked it out, there are a few problems.
First the motion is too linear. It lacks the "floating" feel of drone/aerial footage. There is a bit too much shake/rotation in the video. I'd play with the stabilization options to try for a little smoother video.

The color is too yellow. I'd either shift the color to be a bit more green or completely desaturated the footage.

The big static box in the upper right corner of the screen seems unneeded. Would probably be better to replace with some numbers counting down as if indicating range.

I'd animate the lines on the left having them move a either up or down. They are also a little too thin and a little too clean. make them match the grain of the video and maybe a slight blur to the edges.

The base video looks too washed out and lacking contrast. I had to struggle to realize there were people in the shot. I'd play with an adjustment curve,

I would add small boxes similar to the one around the cross hair to point out the people before it locks on.

Move the text to the bottom center and make sure it is in title safe. It is too low where it is.

Have the cross hairs and bounding box flash as they lock on. Perhaps even changing color. The lines should be a little thicker. I would also keep the cross hairs on top of the band. They seem to drift away after it has locked. They shouldn't do that.

If you feel like it, roto around the band and color them with the colorama effect as if the drone is using a thermal or similar type sensor on them. Or do something to highlight the band. They are very hard to see/make out in the video. Perhaps as the cross hairs move over each person they are then highlighted from that point forward.

I would add some random numbers in places to help give that computer drone feeling.

Consider having the static fade in and out a little throughout the clip. Not much, just enough to give the feeling of the signal going in and out a bit.

The image shift as the signal cuts out is good. I'd maybe play with that a bit and make it go in and out, maybe throw in a flash frame or two from the next clip in the video.

In a digital signal you wouldn't have static, but digital noise and blocking, but I wouldn't worry about that most people don't know that. I would however not have the static end by shrinking into a rectangle. I would first scale just the Y so you get a line over the black background. Then either have that fade off in 3-5 frames or scale to zero over the x and y over 3-5 frames.

You may want to add some scan lines to the video to give it more of a "video" look. Make your own or download this one (http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4391/5ga5.jpg) and use either multiply or screen depending on whichever looks better.

I'm not sure why the drone loses signal. If it is supposed to be because it strikes the band, then I would do a digital zoom to make it like it is getting closer.

Not sure why it says "prosecuting target". Maybe "engaging target" or just "engaging" would be a better choice and more military like.

Checked it out, there are a few problems.
First the motion is too linear. It lacks the "floating" feel of drone/aerial footage. There is a bit too much shake/rotation in the video. I'd play with the stabilization options to try for a little smoother video.

The color is too yellow. I'd either shift the color to be a bit more green or completely desaturated the footage.

The big static box in the upper right corner of the screen seems unneeded. Would probably be better to replace with some numbers counting down as if indicating range.

I'd animate the lines on the left having them move a either up or down. They are also a little too thin and a little too clean. make them match the grain of the video and maybe a slight blur to the edges.

The base video looks too washed out and lacking contrast. I had to struggle to realize there were people in the shot. I'd play with an adjustment curve,

I would add small boxes similar to the one around the cross hair to point out the people before it locks on.

Move the text to the bottom center and make sure it is in title safe. It is too low where it is.

Have the cross hairs and bounding box flash as they lock on. Perhaps even changing color. The lines should be a little thicker. I would also keep the cross hairs on top of the band. They seem to drift away after it has locked. They shouldn't do that.

If you feel like it, roto around the band and color them with the colorama effect as if the drone is using a thermal or similar type sensor on them. Or do something to highlight the band. They are very hard to see/make out in the video. Perhaps as the cross hairs move over each person they are then highlighted from that point forward.

I would add some random numbers in places to help give that computer drone feeling.

Consider having the static fade in and out a little throughout the clip. Not much, just enough to give the feeling of the signal going in and out a bit.

The image shift as the signal cuts out is good. I'd maybe play with that a bit and make it go in and out, maybe throw in a flash frame or two from the next clip in the video.

In a digital signal you wouldn't have static, but digital noise and blocking, but I wouldn't worry about that most people don't know that. I would however not have the static end by shrinking into a rectangle. I would first scale just the Y so you get a line over the black background. Then either have that fade off in 3-5 frames or scale to zero over the x and y over 3-5 frames.

You may want to add some scan lines to the video to give it more of a "video" look. Make your own or download this one (http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4391/5ga5.jpg) and use either multiply or screen depending on whichever looks better.

I'm not sure why the drone loses signal. If it is supposed to be because it strikes the band, then I would do a digital zoom to make it like it is getting closer.

Not sure why it says "prosecuting target". Maybe "engaging target" or just "engaging" would be a better choice and more military like.

Great stuff. That "prosecuting target" thing is actually something a drone operator said in a documentary my co-producer watched, which is why we used it. The way it cuts out at the end is actually because someone is watching it on TV (and it's the TV shutting off). I'm thinking the static may be replaced by a "technical difficulties" screen, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Otherwise, lots of good stuff to ponder. Thanks!

The speed is wrong. It makes the physics feel wrong. I think you need to speed it up by 50% or more towards the end.

The fact that you're flying towards a non-targeted area is the biggest problem. Meaning, how is the drone going to hit the target if it's flying to the wrong area? Zip-line is to what you want to hit.

If you want to go further, consider sound design a bit so what audiences are used to hearing with a drone strike. Adding in the NASA bleeps, drone operator voice and so on.

Nice work though. Keep it up.

I know some have been telling you to speed up the footage, but try slowing it down.

You need indicators for latitude & longitude, airspeed, date/time, operator, etc.

Washed out color instead of monochrome might work okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBD2hG8ZV6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PjR8v1njsg

I would try about half of the original speed to give it a more "floaty" feel and the try to stabilize as much as you can. Your "target" is stationary, and since the band is in shadow you can't discern distinct movements.

I very often do the opposite of what "convention" tells me to do; it doesn't always work, but at least gets me thinking out of the box and getting a fresh listen - or, in your case, getting a fresh look.

Also, the target hairs look a little too high quality and superimposed after the fact. Normally, they're broadcast with the image acquisition, and so the grading and quality on them should match the rest of the footage I think. Perhaps a little wider also?

CraigL

I have a few comments.

1) The camera is moving in one direction (say, Northwest), while it is pointed in a different direction (say, North). I think that's the primary issue. The problem it creates is it messes up the POV. Typically, if a being is moving from point A to point B, then they are looking in that direction. Otherwise, it's as though the "visual field" of the drone is actually somewhat sideways (kind of like fish eyes).
Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that without re-shooting.

2) I find it strange that people have said to speed it up or slow it down, yet no one has suggested variable speeds. When I'm running to a target, for example, there is an acceleration and deceleration period. There is no one size fits all answer. It could possibly be best to use slower and faster versions. Maybe it speeds up when it "spots" the target, but slows down as it "locks on."

3) I originally presumed that static rectangle wouldn't be there in the final product, but if that's the intent, which I now think might be the case (having watched the drone video a couple posts up, with a similar feature), I would like to point something out. When you watch the bottom video a few posts up, which uses the same feature, it's important to point out the reasoning. I surmise that static area is there to cover up sensitive information, national security type stuff. Given this is fictional, I see no need to cover up such information and using the static box feature actually detracts, as opposed to having the latitude and longitude, for example.

Hope that helps.

the static square is "redacting" or hiding the data displayed in that area.. like gps coordinates and other "interesting" info.

The cross hairs and lock on box should first bounce all over the screen then quickly lock on to the band. This will direct the eye to the band sooner, as well as provide motivation for the camera move.

Back