Some very important questions!!!

Alright so I've always been interested in movies and how to make one. A good one. no, scratch that, a GREAT one. I had a dillema though, I didn't know what to make it about.

Well a couple weeks ago somebody told me about a story they came up with and its BRILLIANT! So I said hey lets make that into a movie...

Now I'm not new to making movies, but I'm new to all the stuff that indie film makers use (cameras, lighting, how to get permits for things, etc). So I've got 7 BIG questions! Here goes...

1. Top three cameras to get for a reasonable price (think around $700)?

2. How to get that "hollywood" feel... is it filters, or is added in post production?

3. How do I do sound, I know it has to be recorded sepratly so how does that work? :huh:

4. How/What to do to get permits for explosions/car chases?

5. How do I find/get actors/camera men/cinematographers/hair and makeup artist in my area for a film? :huh:

6. The movie has alot of gun shooting in it, would it be better to get airsoft guns and add the sound/muzzle flash in post, or spend twice as much and get blank firing guns? :huh:

7. What post production editing/CGI software should I get?

Thanks to anyone that helps me out on this, I appreciate it.

Well for now I'm out. LATER! - Thrift.

Alrighty then... Given the nature of your questions I get the feeling that you might be getting in a little over your head with this particular project. That is not to say that it can't be done, but you will have a good amount of homework to do prior to starting production, and really prior to getting very far with pre-production. But lets see what we can do for ya here...

In that range you're limited to standard definition (for the most part). Though you should be able to find something decent. I don't know the going rates of all the cameras in that range, but you might find a good deal on a used camera.
The Canon GL1 and GL2 have been touted as being nearly indestructible, so that would be a solid investment -- and the picture ain't bad either.
Panasonic makes some very nice cameras that you could probably find in that price range, the PV-GS series, I had a PV-GS200, the newer ones to look for would be the GS320 and GS400.
If you can find the money a dvx100 is a GREAT camera, but it's probably going to be about double the price range you're looking at.

The basics you want to look for in a standard definition camera are 3 ccd chips, and a mic input. Those are pretty much requirements. Well more or less, you could make a decent film with less of a camera, but a camera with these two elements would be a better purchase. After that, manual control of focus, shutter speed, and aperture is preferable.

However, in the HD arena, the Canon HV20 (my current weapon of choice) can be had for right around the $700-800 mark these days if you shop around.

It's about the only high definition camera you can get in that price neighborhood, and it's a sweet little machine. It has some unconventional workarounds to get full control over the image, but once you've got that down it's not a big deal. (Basically you have to fool it into thinking you've got a certain exposure level in your shot, then lock the exposure -- This takes me all of about 5 seconds, and only has to be done when the camera has been shut off)

2. How to get that "hollywood" feel... is it filters, or is added in post production?
First and foremost, lighting. Every film, television show, etc that you have ever seen (that was professionally produced) has had a significant effort put into lighting every single shot. Lighting is by far THE most important aspect of making a film -- second only to the STORY.
Even if you did nothing else, a properly lit video will look more filmic than 90% of the crap you see on YouTube or elsewhere online.

Second is frame-rate. Film uses a frame rate of 24 frames/second (or often times 25 frames per second in Europe). This is slightly less than standard television (30fps, or 25fps in Europe). The images aren't quite as fluid and Prime-Time Nightly News looking. Having a camera that can shoot 24p (or 24F on most Canon cameras) -- That is 24 progressive frames/second rather than 60 interlaced frames that make up the 30fps (or 50i/25p in Europe) standard video signal.

Third is color timing. This comprises a number of things; proper white balance (or white balance to something that isn't white for a different "look") -- this is done in camera, primary color correction -- making the images look the way they should, matching all the images between different takes and shots in a scene so it looks cohesive (done in post), and secondary color correction which is where you tweak the image to say, change a car from green to blue, or give the whole film (or a whole scene) a particular "look".

There's a few more aspects to it.. proper camera and actor blocking, scene composition, etc.. but those are the basics. (See my next post for books and such that cover all of this)
3. How do I do sound, I know it has to be recorded sepratly so how does that work? :huh:
Some people record to external devices, like a dat recorder, or some kind of flash memory based recorder (Zoom makes a couple good ones that are fairly inexpensive).. But, if you purchased a camera with a mic input, you can run your sound right into the camera and not have to worry as much -- it will be recorded in sync, and when you import the video you'll get the audio too.

If you do record to an external device, you MUST use a clap-board (or slate) or some other audible & visual cue at the beginning (or end) of each take to properly sync up the sound in post. It's much easier to record audio directly into the camera, so I'd recommend you do that.

4. How/What to do to get permits for explosions/car chases?
How to get them... Talk to your local film board/film office. Look in the phone book, most places have one, if not talk to someone at city hall.

You will almost certainly have to have an insurance policy for the production, and your schedule will need to be solidified before you can pull a permit for a location on a given time/day.

A word on explosions and car chases. If you do not have a licensed pyro-technician on set, you can't do explosions for real. Can NOT! Composite them in in post instead. Car chases, same deal... You'd need trained stunt performers to choreography and perform the chase. Unless you have a significant budget -- which I can tell that you do not based on what you're looking to spend for the camera and the overall tone of these questions -- you can't afford it. Rewrite the script to things that are easily, safely, and legally doable.

5. How do I find/get actors/camera men/cinematographers/hair and makeup artist in my area for a film? :huh:
This one is pretty easy. Post crew and casting call notices on classified sites. Specifically on Craigslist and Mandy.com

6. The movie has alot of gun shooting in it, would it be better to get airsoft guns and add the sound/muzzle flash in post, or spend twice as much and get blank firing guns? :huh:
Unless you have a licensed armorer on set, you can't use blank firing guns.. You'll never get the permit, and trying to do it without is a death wish -- Cops WILL shoot you. Even with airsoft guns, it's always best to talk to the police and the city prior to a shoot (and don't call it a shoot when you talk to them, some people don't react well to that..) Pull a permit if needed, but mostly just get their OK to do so, and this way they'll also KNOW what's going on, just in case someone calls about miscreants running rampant in the city brandishing guns they won't show up weapons drawn. That's a bad day right there.. Even with airsoft guns -- they look real, even with the orange tip, a cop very likely will shoot you.

Don't play around. If you can avoid the use of guns entirely it will make your life easier. If you are shooting indoors at a private location, it's not as big of a deal but you should still treat every airsoft weapon with the respect of a real gun. Incidentally it should be said that even a blank firing gun can injure, mame, or kill you. (Remember Brandon Lee?) Even properly loaded with blanks, something still comes out the barrel of the gun. Any kind of projectile can cause injury or death. You do the math.

This depends on what kind of computer you're on.. for a mac, you'll be looking at Final Cut (Pro or Studio), OR Premiere since it's being made available for intel macs.

On the PC side, you have more options with the primary two being, again Premiere, and Sony Vegas. At the end of the day all Non Linear Editing programs do the same thing, none is any better than the others -- it all comes down to personal preference.

On the visual effects post production side of things, there is a plethora of software to pick from. It all depends on what you're going to be doing. You may or may not need a 3d graphics program (like Maya, Lightwave, Cinema 4d, etc)

I use After Effects, which really can do just about anything.. Look at the list of credits of films that The Orphanage had a hand in the effects on to get an idea of what can be done with AE -- until recently it was all they used, though they've started using another program (Nuke or Fusion, I forget) recently too.. Shake has many of its features, Shake and Motion combined have more of the feature set that AE has, but really AE still leads the pack for overall power and flexibility. Some people aren't terribly fond of the timeline based environment though and prefer to work with Node Based systems (like Shake, Combustion, Nuke, Fusion, etc)

Last edited:
My reply was too long, and wouldn't be accepted as one post..

As I mentioned.. I think you've got a good deal of homework to do.
Here's a few links to get you started:

http://www.filmeducation.org/secondary/concept/filmlang/docs/frameset.html
http://www.jamesarnett.com/lighting.html
http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/short/gramtv.html

And I can very highly recommend these books:
DV Rebels Guide - Stu Maschwitz (Don't even think about it.. BUY THIS BOOK!)
Film Directing: Shot by Shot - Steven Katz
Film Directing: Cinematic Motion - Steven Katz
Painting With Light - John Alton
Screenwriter's Workbook - Syd Field (or any of his other books, he is the master of story structure in the screenplay format)
The Eye is Quicker - Richard D. Pepperman (GREAT book on editing)
Directing Actors - Judith Weston
Film Directors Intuition - Judith Weston
Film Directing Fundamentals (2nd Edition) - Nicholas Proferes
The 5 C's of Cinematography - Joseph V. Mascelli

DVDs:
DV Enlightenment - Probably just about everything you'll ever need or want to know about lighting for digital video
Hollywood Camera Work - This six disc set covers just about every kind of camera setup, move, blocking (actors & camera), teaches you a pretty simple and effective method of diagramming the camera and actor blocking for all your scenes, etc.. I really can't recommend this one highly enough. It's pricey, but much cheaper than film school.

Seminars:
Action-Cut Filmmaking Seminar - Guy Magar (live seminars and/or a dvd version.. I recommend the live seminar, but the dvds are a good refresher)
Dov S-S Simens (several options: 2 day Film School, Web Film School, DVD Film School)

That ought to be a good start for you. :)
I hope I didn't discourage you.. That was not my intention, just want to ensure you're looking at things realistically.

Last edited:
Wow thats more info than I could of ever hoped for man! thanks a TON!

Need to point out a few other things though that you touched on.

First the guns and car chases. I really can't get around either one of those, this is a hardcore action movie. Think Die hard meets the bourne ultimatum meets Boondock saints or somethin' like that. I CAN get around explosions if I absolutly have to though. As far as I know in NC (my state) its legal to use blank firing guns if they're the kind that ONLY take blank rounds. I'm gonna double check that to make sure though. OH and, I don't want you to think I'm gonna just go out on location and start filming a shootout in the middle of padestrians man! NO way! Once I started looking into this and heard the story of brandon lee it kind of made me not want to do a movie because of the danger of using even blank guns. But for the most part it's all gonna be on private property friends are letting us use. Theres alot of farm land around here and people shoot guns all the time so that helps to because people are use to hearing shots ring out.

I'm on a PC. I got pinnacle studio 11 about a week ago. Problem is I can't get anything I film to open up in it. It just keeps saying "format not supported". The supported formats listed on the side of the box are...

Video: DV, HDV, AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX*, MPEG-4*, 3GP(MPEG-4)*, WMV, Non-encrypted DVD titles*.
Audio: WAV, MP3.
Graphic: BMP, JPG, PCT, TGA, TIF, WMF.

* requires free product activation via internet at the first use.

I've tryed AVI MPEG-2 and WMV but they won't open so I can't even use it! Do you happen to know whats up with that? OH and when I tried opening up the video in windows media player and saving it as an .stx file (what pinnacle converts files to) and then opening it in pinnacle it says "folder for file missing". ? so idk. I'll probably just return it and look into one of the programs you mentioned.

Now for cameras... What are CCD chips and why do I need 3 lol? I'm gonna go with the mic input you talked about that seems a whole lot easier than recording sepratly. So whats the cheapest camera I can get with the 3 chips, mic input, manual control of focus/shutter speed/aperture?

I'm going to look into a couple of those books you mentioned and the dvd's. I'll study all that over the next 8 weeks (some of the actors are bulking up for the movie) and then begin tieing up all the loose ends and pre-production can start. BTW I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say by shooting time the budget will be around $4000, $2000 worst case.

Which leads me to another question... is there a way I could get someone to help fund this film?

First the guns and car chases. I really can't get around either one of those, this is a hardcore action movie. Think Die hard meets the bourne ultimatum meets Boondock saints or somethin' like that. I CAN get around explosions if I absolutly have to though. As far as I know in NC (my state) its legal to use blank firing guns if they're the kind that ONLY take blank rounds.
Sometimes it's better to start with smaller projects. Trying to make a Die
Hard meets the Bourne Ultimatum meets Boondock Saints type of movie
can be better when the director and crew has a little more experience. Any
chance you could start with something less difficult?

Even in States with severe restrictions on weapons, a licensed person can
use them on a film set with the proper insurance and permits. For example - I
recently got my automatic weapons permit in California. That doesn't mean
I can have fully automatic weapons in my home or use them for practice
or sport. But I can use them on a properly permited movie set.
Now for cameras... What are CCD chips and why do I need 3 lol? I'm gonna go with the mic input you talked about that seems a whole lot easier than recording sepratly. So whats the cheapest camera I can get with the 3 chips, mic input, manual control of focus/shutter speed/aperture?
You'll need to do a little of your own research on CCD's. Use the links Will gave you as well as Google.

There aren't any cameras in the $700 range with mic input and manual
controls. In the around $1,000 - $1,500 range there are currently only 5:

The JVC GR-X5 is a nice starter camera with manual controls and a mic input.
It can be found for under $800.

The Panasonic series (PV-GS300, PV-GS400, PV-GS500) are terrific 3CCD
cameras. It seems the 400 is hard to find and that’s too bad. It’s a great
little camera. But the 500 is still an excellent starter camera with the essentials.

Sony DCR-HC1000 is very similar to the Panasonic cameras. If you’re
more comfortable with Sony, this is the camera for you.

Several cameras are now moving from tape to hard drive. Called HDD
(hard disc drive) there are a few in this price range that should be
considered. The major downside is the MPEG-2 compression.

I like the new JVC GZ-HD7. I’ve seen these on line for as little as $1,200.
A really nice Fujinon lens makes a huge difference and full manual
controls is important. Three 1/5’ 16:9 progressive scan CCD’s are pretty
impressive for a camera in this price range. It records directly to a built
in 60GB hard drive.

Close is the Canon HV20. It records in HDV (1080i) and 24p (60i), has
a mic input and manual controls of white balance and focus but it uses
one 1/2.7” CMOS sensor rather than 3 CCD’s. For me the jury is still
out on the CMOS. And it’s so small the handling is difficult.

Which leads me to another question... is there a way I could get someone to help fund this film?
Since you don't have previous movies that have earned a profit, you're
going to have to sell yourself as an up and coming filmmaker. That means
you'll be asking family and friends who believe in you as a person and not
going to investors looking to make a profit.

The key is understanding that you are asking people to give up money
they worked hard for to pay for a product - your movie.

So have a plan. When you approach people give them your “business plan”.
1) The format it’s being shot on
2) The line item budget.
3) What your plans are with the finished movie.
4) A short bio of the people involved.
5) The amount of days you will need to shoot and edit.
6) A copy of the script.

Since in this case you are asking people to invest because they believe in
you and want to help - not for financial return - you have to make this
very personal. Don’t make promises about getting into festivals - though
do you research and tell them about the festivals you plan to enter and
how much that’s going to cost. However, plan a showing of the final
movie in a public place so everyone can see it.

Before you go any further, buy the DV Rebels guide (I linked it in my previous post)... it's specifically about how to shoot an action movie on a shoestring budget. So, it was basically written for you. Buy it, read it, then continue on the path of making this film.

Like directorik said though, I think you should consider doing a different film before you try to make this one... for a first project there's just too much involved, and too much that could go wrong. I think you'd be much happier with the results having made a few other smaller/easier projects first. Making a movie isn't as easy as you'd think, you really can't just turn on the camera and run through lines and action -- well, you could, but nobody is going to want to watch it, and anybody who may have helped fund it will probably be pretty upset.

As for the guns.. even if you're on private land, I still would strongly suggest you not use blanks. There's really no reason to, since muzzle flash can be easily added in post, and the audio isn't going to turn out anyway so it would have to be replaced in post too.

Just remember, no matter how cool you think your film is, there's no reason for anyone to get hurt -- or die.

As for car explosions...talk to the local fire department and see if they would be willing to host a fire fighting training excercise and blow up a car for you...Then let you film it (not shoot, we don't say shoot to emergency workers or prison administrators).

Producer's script:

"My name is [insert name here]. I'm a local independent filmmaker. I have a bizarre question for you...I'm making a film and it involves a car explosion. I was wondering if your department has any training days coming up that could possibly involve a car burn which I'd be allowed to film. I'd be willing to feed your team/buy a car from the wrecking yard/help you wash your fire trucks for a week or two."

You'd be shocked what you can get for free/cheap with a phone call and a novel request asked politely.

Alright so I've always been interested in movies and how to make one. A good one. no, scratch that, a GREAT one. I had a dillema though, I didn't know what to make it about.

Well a couple weeks ago somebody told me about a story they came up with and its BRILLIANT! So I said hey lets make that into a movie...

Now I'm not new to making movies, but I'm new to all the stuff that indie film makers use (cameras, lighting, how to get permits for things, etc). So I've got 7 BIG questions! Here goes...

You've received alot of good suggestions, pick one of those :)

But I will say (as a sidebar) that my secondary camera is a Panasonic PV GS65 3 chip handicam. I got it expressly to destroy by using it as playback, because playback decks are expensive. Plus if you have an expensive camera, you don't want to wear out the heads by using it as a vcr (playback). I figured until the heads are shot, I will use it for playback and secondary camera.

I have to say that I am surprised at just how nice the pictures are and how good the audio is for a handicam. Right no w I am happy with it as my backup camera. When I got it, it was about $550.

The best way to get the 'hollywood look' is to get a camera that shoots in 24p, but you won't find that in a cheap camera. So it is possible do this in post production editing. Make sure you have a good editing system.

Make sure you get the best microphone you can afford, and remember for all of this stuff you can go to
www.bhphotovideo.com and find some good prices.

Since you are starting out, try your hometown's little theater, your community college's acting classes.

I don't know about the CGI, but edit systems: Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Avid I suggest. Others like Vegas. I use Final Cut and have found it to be very user friendly.

Go be brilliant!

-- spinner :cool:

All you guys points have been seriously taken into consideration. Thanks for the replys and info.

WV - You mentioned the dvx100, after doing some looking around I think thats the camera I'm going to go with. Well it is a bit pricey, so thats if I get the money for it.

Knightly - Thanks, first thing I'm gonna do at the end of the 8 weeks is look into the possibilty of doing a car chase/explosion scene.

Yesterday I was looking into and reading up on the "Magic Bullet" plug in. What do you guys think about it? is it worth the $400? It's compatible with a number of different programs, including after effects, premiere, final cut pro, avid and motion. I need to get one of those since I went ahead and returned pinnacle studio 11 yesterday because I couldn't get it to work.

originally magic bullet's biggest selling point was for conversion of footage to 24p.. since the DVX will already do 24p, you don't really need the bullet, but the new "Magic Bullet Looks" is pretty damn awesome. Personally I would probably go the Colorista route, but it's not as easy to use as Looks (though it is wickedly powerful for color correction..)

If you're a student you can get a pretty serious discount on the adobe creative suite .. or the Final Cut if you've got a mac, which it doesn't sound like you do. ;)

Last edited:
Firstly... Will is right... don't do anything until you've invested in Stu's Book "DV Rebel"

Next: Here's an alternative way to approach your project

Don't buy a camera... take all the money you can raise and use it to hire an up and coming DP (with his own kit) for the duration of the shoot

3. How do I do sound, I know it has to be recorded separately so how does that work?

Don't even think about approaching production sound if you don't know what you're doing... again, find a sound guy with his own kit and scrape up enough money to get him on board for the shoot.

Read Stu's book... then go away and think about it... then read the book again (by the way, even though his company developed Magic Bullet, he's got workaround for creating great footage without it)

However, even after reading Stu's book... the factors that determine production value are huge... locations, set design, colour palette, lighting, sound design, use of cinematography, actors, direction of actors, editing, the music score, the sound mix, colour correction and grading... and under pinning all of this... The SCRIPT

For each of these headings there are a further hundred sub-headings... so, for the script there is Conflict, Character Connection, Character Arc, Subtext... A, B and C sub-plots, Character development, three, four and nine act structure, the hero's journey, the protagonist, antagonist, stakes character, mentor ( and these are just in a single protagonist screenplay)... there is the placing of the inciting incident, the first act break, the midpoint crisis, the third act dilemma and the denouement.

I think what I'm saying is the "Hollywood Look" is a distillation of thousands of different pieces of knowledge and skills... and not just a filter or a post production trick.

Unless of course raising $3M and shooting on 35MM is an option :lol: (the real trick to getting the hollywood look is to spend a lot of money)

The movie has a lot of gun shooting in it, would it be better to get airsoft guns and add the sound/muzzle flash in post, or spend twice as much and get blank firing guns?

That's definitely a solution... but read as much as you can about doing this safely, without causing your local SWAT team to turn up loaded to bear, before you attempt this in public.

Chances are, if you have to ask this question, you're the last person who should edit the film... like the camera question... find a skilled wannabee editor, who believes in your film and get them to do it on their kit.

If you really want to cut it yourself then either Final Cut Studio (Mac) or Premiere (PC)... and Adobe After Effects

Please don't take this the wrong way... but Rik's right, this sounds like too advanced a project for you

If you're going to shoot it yourself, edit it yourself, then you'll need to make a shed load of shorts to test out your techniques... BEFORE you attempt a huge action feature.

Or, you could work really, really hard on getting the script perfect... and then find people more skilled and experienced than yourself to help you make your film.

Either way is good.

Listen to clive, he knows his stuff. :)

(Even though we come off sounding like we're on the take from Stu.. hmmm.. maybe we should talk to him about a cut of the book profits... nah)

I'll throw this last little piece of advice at you..
Thrift said:
I had a dillema though, I didn't know what to make it about.

That was my exact position before I started working on my first short. It was a SHORT mind you, not a feature. I rented the camera, and had a very talented recent film school grad DP it, we used all existing light (most of it was shot outdoors) I had a cast of 7 including a dog -- the dog died the week before production began and I had to write it out of the script even though it was an important character..

The filming took place over the course of 3 weekends, spread between 6 locations. Between camera rentals (~$200 day rate - charged as a single day for the weekend), props, etc, I spent somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand dollars. The film was never, and never will be finished -- because we didn't get enough coverage, and honestly the script wasn't very solid, and the little bit of footage we did get really doesn't cut together into a full story.

The point is, don't rush into a production you're not ready for or you will end up wasting a bunch of money and if you even end up with some usable footage at the end of it -- it won't be very good. Keep this one on the shelf for a year or a few years, and while it's there continue to refine its story structure. In the mean time, work on several simple short films.. focus on a different skill/technique for each one.

What will happen is by the time you go to shoot this big project, you'll be much more experienced and know what it's going to take to pull off -- and in the mean time you'll probably figure out that the story just isn't nearly as strong as you thought it was, but this will also give you time to fix it before a single frame is shot.

Will is exactly right... there isn't any point in investing in a DP and a sound guy until your script is rock solid... and you know enough about production to know how to use them.

It's a Catch 22 situation, you kind of need the sub $700 camera to learn how to make films... but when it comes the BIG idea, then ideally you need something better.

In your situation I wouldn't be buying kit, I'd be looking for another indie locally, with their own kit, to collaborate with... then I'd make a shed load of shorts... and at the same time I'd work on the feature script...

I'd spend the next year or so figuring where my production strengths were... then I'd play to them.

Then, when I'd tested all the techniques I needed to make the feature (by shooting shorts)... then I'd hire in a DP and a sound guy.

Film making really is something to jump into though...but one toe at a time. If you go straight to the big feature like I did...great story realized in a substandard script with no knowledge of what you're doing, you'll end up right where I am. The only one still working on the project 5 years later...unfinished wishing you had done x differently or y. No possibility for reshoots to make up for your lack of experience on day 1 and drastically different looks and feels in the cinematography because you improved by doing as the shoot went on...2 months of weekend shooting over the course of a year. 2 years of planning and script writing to get the substandard script we shot. another 2 years on post which still isn't done.

If this story is "all that" do other stuff first or you'll end up redoing it later and be angry and bitter (not that I am - it was a great experience). Do shorts first...or a feature that you don't care about outside of getting experience...remember that 3 years from now...on that budget, you'll still be working with it. Without a separate DP on set, you'll leave the camera rolling alot. I have 47 hours of footage for what will be a 60-90 minute feature when I do finally complete it. Bad audio, exposure issues, bad lighting as we were starting out. We learned to fix most of the problems by the end, but it's still taken 5 years so far and I haven't reached my stated objective of "producing a feature film that I can submit to film festivals" It doesn't need to be accepted, just be an original story with releases signed and complete.

Start smaller, I had 3 shorts under my belt before tackling this project, and already owned my own camera.

...and after all that if you still want to make this film, then you are insane and in good company and probably on the way to becoming a filmmaker.... :lol:

You have to start somewhere. There is nothing wrong with starting off small you know, at least until you are more sure about what you are doing. It's not discouragement, just precautionary advice...

--- spinner :cool:

....now what does this mean? My advice to a kid in high school would surely be different than what I would suggest to a person who has been in filmmaking or video for some time.....

....now what does this mean? My advice to a kid in high school would surely be different than what I would suggest to a person who has been in filmmaking or video for some time.....

It means that I'm not new to making movies in a general sense. I have a sony handycam and you can record movies/videos (whatever you wanna call them) on it. And I do that all the time. So it's not like I've never picked up a camera before and shot something.

BUT, I am NEW to all the equipment and techniques that veteran film makers use and since I'm serious about making feature length films I need to learn that stuff.

1. ~$700 HV20, or if you want to shoot film you could get a bunch of cameras for that price.

2. I have no idea what you are asking here. Traditional cinema look is created by people who know their craft inside and out and are very talented. A skilled camera person can make a mid-range camera perform fantastically, but an unskilled camera op could never make a top-end cam perform like anything other than junk. If you seriously don't know, then you need to get a camera to play around with and discover. There is no "professional looking cinema" switch on a camera or anything.

3. You can record sound seperately but its easiest in the early stages to just record it into the camera. GET A DECENT MIC. Put it right above the actors faces pointed at their mouths. It should be a shotgun mic, hypercardiod, or line+gradient (all terms for the same thing).

4. Dont put explosions or car chases into your movie. You can't afford it and if someone gets hurt you'll probably go to jail.

5. How do you find people interested in what you're interested in? The internet, schools, gatherings, productions, etc.

6. Dont make movies with "a lot of gun shooting in it". Until you have developed your skills it will look fake and lame. Make movies with plots first, and gun shooting later. Come to think of it, if you want to have gun shooting, car chases, and explosions, are you related to Micheal Bay?

7. If you own a Mac, use the free iLife (free) to start or Final Cut Pro, or on PC use Windows Movie Maker (free) to start or Vegas Studio or Vegas or Premiere or Avid. At your stage you dont need anything else.

Back