• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

Social Media Monster, a documentary (started here on Indietalk 12 years ago)

Watch Social Media Monster, now streaming on Mosaic TV (app available on Roku and AmazonFire)https://watchmosaictv.com/video-pla...26ba8f4&title=Socail Media Monster&is_video=1

SOCIAL MEDIA MONSTER, a documentary - 89 minutes Stay Tuned after the credits for some bonus material

SYNOPSIS
Prepare to pass through the looking glass where one man without a job, living in his car, can leverage a mobile phone and free WiFi at McDonalds & Starbucks to tear apart the fabric of people’s lives. And he can do it all without consequences. Meet Matthew, what some might call a Social Media Monster. When Matthew arrived in St. Joseph, Missouri, no one had any idea what was coming, that this one man would use social media to disrupt the lives of so many people. This documentary looks at how one person can get away with incredible amounts of damage and never pay a price, even when he threatens to commit acts of terrorism at a nuclear facility.

DEEP DIVE
What makes Social Media Monster somewhat unique is the “deep dive” elements outside the film. The filmmakers have “brought the receipts” as all the public documents, police reports, emails, Facebook posts, and messages are all available online for anyone to confirm the veracity of the film's claims.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qbyNulIhYUcckleZCmpl0pBw7DKX_9l1?usp=drive_link

RELEVANCE & CONTEXT

Social Media Monsters, and Matthew is hardly the only one, exist in the loopholes between our justice system and companies like Facebook, Google, X, TikTok, Instagram, Reddit, et al. As our society moves deeper into a virtual world, the legislature and law enforcement remain in a 20th century mindset. Social media companies are not required to halt online abuse; they benefit from online fighting as it increases engagement which in turn incentivizes advertising.

Winner-film-fest.jpg

Winner-finalist-film-fest.jpg

Upvote 1
I watched the whole doc, I found your interview subjects to all be likable and easy to listen to.
The stuff with the band and the song lyrics had me laughing.

Sounded like a Dennis Renyolds quote 😄
I shall unleash my fury upon you like the crashing of a thousand waves!

I really liked your point about how victims of MB can point to your documentary and shield themselves from his attacks.
It's a really good thing you did!

I do have one large critique, I find the beginning narration to be confusing.

It starts off with you talking V.O. then it switches to Matt talking V.O. with zero titles on the screen informing me who is talking.
My first reaction I thought it was you still talking!! When it does the establishing shot, in St. Joseph Missouri, I thought I was still listening to the film maker. It's confusing.

You and matt are both adult white men with american accents, your voices are kinda similar, it's only because I personally know your countenance that I was able to correct my mistake once Matt's face appeared on the screen. "Oh, that's not peter talking anymore."

Random viewers that don't know what you look like would stay confused.

Smaller critique... i think you should have talked more personally about what losing your TV show meant to you.
It's more dramatic if there is real victimization, showing the real damage he caused, what you lost, but the way it's presented is very impersonal and informative instead of emotional.

I do have one large critique, I find the beginning narration to be confusing.

Random viewers that don't know what you look like would stay confused.

Smaller critique... i think you should have talked more personally about what losing your TV show meant to you.
It's more dramatic if there is real victimization, showing the real damage he caused, what you lost, but the way it's presented is very impersonal and informative instead of emotional.

I really appreciate your thoughts and notes. Total honesty is always welcome. That said, I don't recall Matt speaking as Voice Over in the film without either being on camera or if it clearly shows his face on screen and with text notating it's "voice of Matthew Berdyck" which I thought was enough. Not sure what else I could do to make it more clear when it's him speaking.

voice of matthew berdyck.jpg

As for the other criticism, that is what sequel will cover way more extensively. I view the sequel like the Godfather Part 2, it's everything before and after part 1. Part 2/the series will be much more about myself and my history, both with Berdyck and in general.

Thanks so much for watching and sharing your thoughts.

I really appreciate your thoughts and notes. Total honesty is always welcome. That said, I don't recall Matt speaking as Voice Over in the film without either being on camera or if it clearly shows his face on screen and with text notating it's "voice of Matthew Berdyck" which I thought was enough. Not sure what else I could do to make it more clear when it's him speaking.

View attachment 4363

I'll try to express myself clearer with a time stamp.
The very first time he speaks in the film, around 1:15 it's not showing his face, and it doesn't list his name, it's an establishing shot of St. Joseph Missouri and he is talking over it

The first two minutes of this doc doesn't list your name when you're talking, it doesn't list his name when he's talking, it has two different people talking in VO in two minutes and it isn't clear when the voice switches from one person to the other.

I hope that explains it better

I made a documentary called "Social Media Monster" and it was set for Amazon Prime VOD and had played on other streaming services. The titular "Monster" contacted them and also my distributor, FilmHub, and rather than stand up for the targets of cyberharassment, they effectively sided with him and silenced the voice of his victims by removing the film from their platforms.

Here is just a small sampling of the victims and targets that deserve to have their voices heard

Please, contact Tubi and request Social Media Monster the documentary https://tubitv.com/static/support

or Netflix https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest

These network execs are almost as bad as Reddit mods and admins.

Yeah Berdyck sent them messages like this, saying he was going to kill himself if they released the documentary.
2024 5 27 X Amazon doctor kill myself.jpg

They deleted my film because that's easy. Did they attempt to get him any kind of mental health help? Nope. They don't care about people, only their bottom line.

Yeah Berdyck sent them messages like this, saying he was going to kill himself if they released the documentary.
View attachment 4364

They deleted my film because that's easy. Did they attempt to get him any kind of mental health help? Nope. They don't care about people, only their bottom line.

He should try that line on Reddit mods and admins. See how far it gets him.

"If you ban me I will kill myself!"

"This account has been permanently banned. Check your inbox for a message with more information. RIP, loser."

I'm totally shocked to hear about the lack of humanity of showbiz execs. Shocked!

Last edited:
The Matrix made me cringe.

Hearing millions of 15-year-old boys who never read a book in their lives suddenly saying, "Whoa! I can't believe no one ever thought of this stuff before!" was kinda aggravating.

The ghosts of a thousand ancient Greek philosophers probably think so, too.

Last edited:
Back