Social Media and Indie Film

I'm curious on people thoughts about the future of distributing films through Social Media websites such as Twitter and Facebook.

With Media continuing to shift and move outside of the theatres and more onto mobile devices, will it be a time where you can watch a popular movie at your local theatre and simultaneously on Facebook?

I recently released my film Writer's Block and was having issues on how to distribute it. Then I found a website that would store my film, and embed it on on the Facebook Fan page through a "webshop" for me. Then another website that would do the same thing,, but actually encourage the viewers to share the film for a percentage of the sale profit (Affilate sales). I know VODs are nothing new..But how about a VOD program that allows you to keep 90% to 97% of the profit made whether it was streaming, or DVD. I think we may have enter a new frontier on Indie Film. It has only been available for 4 days, and I had more downloads than expected, and the amount of shares I have gotten through it's twitter account is way more than I thought it would be. At this rate I'm rethinking the whole push to getting a theatrical release of my next project, and thinking not only could this be a way to distribute, but a awesome business model. To Partner up with filmmakers and sell their films collectively through a webshop with facebook could be a lucrative business don't you think?

Thoughts?

links?

Is your film a short or feature?

Give it more than a few days . . . it may be people that were awaiting the release. Once that batch is done, you may find a drop off unless you've a marketing plan in place.

Good luck.

It is a Feature.

Here's the IMDB link-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2182255/

The thing is other than a few youtube videos showing it's trailer, there wasn't a whole lot of promotion beforehand. Wasn't looking to really sell this feature but use it's an opening pitch for future projects with investors, producers, etc. The total of sells I got in a few days was something I was thinking I was going to get in a few..YEARS lol..it's only double digits.. But still.

Maybe you're right-maybe it will dropped in interest. But what if it's doesn't?

Maybe you're right-maybe it will dropped in interest. But what if it's doesn't?

Then you'll be rolling in dough! :)

---

Perhaps it was a mention in a blog or something. Generally one has to keep up a steady marketing effort to keep sales rolling in, but even then, most filmmakers aren't likely to earn back production costs. So if something is working here, you need to find out what it is and capitalize on it!

Good luck.

I think Facebook and Twitter are... fine.. to an extent. Facebook users generally appear to be too self-centered and would rather post where they just ate a burger at than rather interact with others, unless it's to argue or to complain about the government.

There's a ton of research out there that shows that beliefs/attitudes do not correlate with behaviors. This means that, just because a film has 1,000 likes on FB, it doesn't necessarily translate into sales. Same for Twitter.

Face to face networking is still #1. Maybe not in the future but as of now.. it still is. It's not WHAT you know... it's WHO you know.

I think Facebook and Twitter are... fine.. to an extent. Facebook users generally appear to be too self-centered and would rather post where they just ate a burger at than rather interact with others, unless it's to argue or to complain about the government.

There's a ton of research out there that shows that beliefs/attitudes do not correlate with behaviors. This means that, just because a film has 1,000 likes on FB, it doesn't necessarily translate into sales. Same for Twitter.

Face to face networking is still #1. Maybe not in the future but as of now.. it still is. It's not WHAT you know... it's WHO you know.

I definitely agree with this analysis....Especially when it comes to correlating likes/follows to Sales..I have had minimum success with facebook Targeting ad marketing. It's like they like the page, but are afraid of purchasing it for a small fee..Is it because of the I want everything Free that comes from the internet thinking?

I like to post trailers of movies I like. So I am sure others do to.

+1

Entertainment has been commoditized.
People are reluctant to buy a pig in a poke.
Current customers are A LOT easier to sell additional product to than attracting new customers.

You gotta think of these things as chains where this film includes a promotion for your next film, or two.

I find that price doesn't really matter. Either they want to see it or not. I sell a "pre-release" DVD for only $9, via FB and/or via my website yet some people write out checks for $10 (or more). If they send cash, its almost always $10. Most order via the paypal link on my page so there is a $2.99 tack on for that. I do think the upper limit for a indie DVD sold (not streamed or downloaded) online is $14.99.

Back