Social Life Documentary

I am planing on shooting a doc in where I will follow different people for a night on the town. I think I have the audio set up I need for the interviews and personal conversations. What I don't know how to do is capture conversations with people in a crowded bar with music playing in the background.

Also in smaller locations with numerous people sitting around a table and many other people having conversations at near by tables. Does anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions?

I would say avoid trying to catch audio in a crowded bar, maybe just get the footage you need and save the conversation for a more controlled environment.

OR ....

Use voice over on top of the bar footage.

What gear do you have? Any wired or wireless lavs? You could always go out tonight and test it. At the very worst you could sneak in a pint ;)

I have to rent my equipment. I am researching cameras now. I had planed on wireless lav's, but I didn't know all their capabilities and shortfalls.

If I stay true to my concept, the conversations at the bars or clubs will be critical. I was thinking about getting the conversation as best as possible and then adding sub titles for what couldn't be heard.

I think I will get some gear and test it out in a few weekends.

Back