So What's your fav ...action scene?

You know the film. The story builds, the enemies and good good have traded insults for hours and then finally the big bang, the final hurrah...

So what is your fav action scene of all time?

1. Shoot Out

Hardboiled (Dir: John Woo), finale
The finale of hardboiled is one of THE greatest shoot outs, and showed to Hollywood what Woo could really do when cut loose (which of course they then went and tied his hands!!!).

Also Heat, (The Bank Escape)

2. Car Chase

Bullet, Finale
What more can you say... THAT chase. THAT car. Those hills. Hmmmmm

Also: Ronnin (The Job)

3. Fist Fight

Police Story 2, Play ground Fight
The scene that made me fall in love with Jackie Chan. Inventive, fast, creative and bloody fun to watch

Also : Finale, Lethal Weapon (Night Stick fight)

So... over to you guys!

Car chase:

Ronin was a 3-act film. Each act was one long 30-minute car chase. Excellent flick.

Fist fight:

The Gary Busey/Mel Gibson fight at the end of Lethal Weapon is one of my favorites. Hand held cameras, water all over the lens... it was perfect.

War scene:

The Empire Strikes Back. The AT-AT attack scene on Hoth still blows me away. Good work there, George. This was one of the few things that you did right.

Greatest action film of all freakin' time:

Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai. Hands down. No questions asked. 3.5 hours of the grittiest, more realistic action ever put to film.

1. Shoot Out

Yeah, the bank escape in Heat might be #1. Also the climax of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

2. Car Chase

You have to go with Bullitt, The French Connection and Ronin. None other really stick out for me, except Blues Brothers, but I don't really like that movie.

"3. Fist Fight"

This has to go to the recent fight in Deadwood. If anyone saw it, you'll know which one I mean. Absolutely brutal.

But for film, I'd say Mean Streets in the pool hall with "Please Mr. Postman" on the juke box.

Actually WAR SCENE is something I missed and yep I'm going to have to side with EMPIRE on this. Although maybe the future stuff from T" - that's pretty amazing

SPACE BATTLE is another action bit we missed and for me one of the greatest space battles ever is RETURN OF THE JEDI (ending)... that scene just kicks arse.

But yeah one on one kick arse US style Lethal Weapon takes a lot of beating

The Getaway.. Alec Baldwins car chase. Him wrecking. made you feel like you were in the car.

Best fight scene even was in "They Live". What was it, like 15-20 minutes? Became almost comical after the first 5 minutes.

I like the gun fight in Face/Off where the kid has the headphones on...very surreal...and the "Ride of the Valkyries" beach invasion from apocalypse now.

knightly said:
...and the "Ride of the Valkyries" beach invasion from apocalypse now.
I was waiting for someone to mention Apocalype Now.

A.N. is one of the most unrealistic views of war I've ever seen on film (at least to me, don't flame me on this, it's my opinion here) but we all still take this powerful, moving scene (beach invasion) as the defacto standard for Vietnam war films. Strange.

The most realistic war film I've ever seen was Hamburger Hill, although I liked Full Metal Jacket the most. I remember seeing this film in the theatre in 1987. It shocked the hell out of me then and it's still as powerful today. I hated Platoon. Even watching it years later, giving it another try, I still hated it.

Okay, Vietnam vets, speak up. I want to hear your opinion on this. What is, in your opinion, the most accurate portrayal of war you've seen on film?

Man Hamburger Hill... i'd forgotten how god damn good that was. Full Metal was superb also and Loud you are damn right AN is one of the least realistic war films I've ever seen but the ROTV scene was damn amazing!

Best car chase- Ronin... or Carpool with Tom Arnold. He drive a minivan through a mall!!! Also, let's not forget Terminator 2's Truck VS Motocycle motifs.

Best fight sequence- Drunken Master 2 climax

Shoot out- Matix I. Hand down the lobby scene. I'm sick of it now, but damn!

Best chase scenes: Raising Arizona the "Huggies" chase. Raiders of the Lost Ark the horse/truck chase. Bullitt and French Connection

Best shootouts: Miller's Crossing in/outside Leo's house. The Wild Bunch end shootout. Desperado the opening scene with Buscemi telling the story.

Best Fist fight: Fight Club with Edward Norton beating himself up in front of his boss.

Those are some scenes that stick out in my mind anyway.

Back