So, I went to do some test angles...

It did not go as planned. I couldn't get the angles to look as they do in my head. This is my first short film so it also is bumming me out.

Any advice?

Thanks, I see what you mean but I can't run out and get a camcorder. Is there anything else I could do?
Walk out and buy a camcorder!
(Buh-duh dum! Rimshot!
Yessir! Yessir! I'll be here all weekend.
Be generous when the tips jar is passed around.
Yeah... don't be a cheap bastard. Put the paper stuff in there. I'm allergic to coins).

Seriously, the physical mechanics of a camera are going to monkey around with how the images are recorded.
There's no real camera industry standard that dictates much of anything.
Especially when using crappy cameras as video cameras, not that I'm not guilty of using my cellphone's video capabilities to record a couple of micro-shorty-shorts just for the halibut.

Believe me, I just started making shorts (they blow munkee-chunks), I have just the vaguest idea of how my camera works, but can assure you that whatever silly notion I have in my head will only bear the slightest resemblance to the final image.

Gimme a different camera and I know the perspectives will all change.

What else can you do?
- Use your cell phone video cam.
- Borrow your friend's camera again and keep playing with the controls on it.
- Once you understand the limitations of not only your equipment but also your locations and talent resource pools THEN you modify your "visions" according to what you CAN do rather than what you CAN'T do (because that's just a plain nutty waste of time)!

Then, so you can quit buggin' your friend, you hop on ebay and start biding on these $1 POS cams:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12MP-2-...eo_Cameras&hash=item20bd296f5b#ht_2800wt_1139
Surely you can spring a buck, right?
Right.

Lookee, there. That cheap POS can record in 720p at 15/30fps.
Well I'll be a uncle-daddy.

Now, that SD card is gonna probably cost you more than the camera.

WAITAMINIT!
Hold yerr little horsies!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Bloggi...eo_Cameras&hash=item4cfa622559#ht_2692wt_1185
GEDDIT! GEDDIT! GEDDIT!
You can get one of these little fat bastards for a buck - AND - they come with their own 8GB internal flash drive - AND - they shoot not only DVD quality 720p - BUT ALSO - broadcast quality 1080 ("i" promise you it ain't 1080p)

H3ll!
I might buy a dozen of 'em myself.
I wonder what trouble I can get into widdem?

Anyways...

Yeah, whatever image is in your mind may have all sorts of issues going on with it.
Maybe it doesn't work with any known physics in this universe.
Maybe it's chemically induced.
Maybe your friend's camera is a POS.
Oh, wait. You did say it was a cr@pp cam.
Then I suppose it is a POS.
Fair enough.
Call 'em like you see 'em.

Maybe you just need a better camera and some practice screwin' around with it.

I wonder what twenty bucks will buy...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stylish...eo_Cameras&hash=item20bd2754bf#ht_5713wt_1185
Lookit me, ma! I'm a big time pro-fesshunal with a RED camera!
ViewPicture.aspx

LMdumbAO!

in my case, camera has little to do with it.
when i get go out to scout for angles, i grab a friend (a significant other is beneficial for this ;) give em some beer, and ask to "act" a specific scene, while i run around with my 10 dollar camera until i find what im looking for (takes couple of hours).

Get a couple of good looking angles, jolt down some notes on the script, throw the footage into your editor, and see how it floats.

Now, it will not look exactly like you wanted, of course, because of poor lighting, colors etc. But at least you ll find a good angle.

Thanks for the advice guys, i have a shot list and a storyboard but when I apply it to the real world it isn't coming out like I want. I'm putting this project off for awhile due to I'm swamped with school at the moment.

For iphone users, Artemis director's Viewfinder is pretty damn sweet. Large selection of lenses on it. You pick a lens (focal length, brand, etc...) and the iphone takes a picture emulating the FOV of that lens and stamps the photo with your longitude and latitude as well as your tilt up and down. It's a pricey app, like $39, but I use it ALL the time.

For iphone users, Artemis director's Viewfinder is pretty damn sweet. Large selection of lenses on it. You pick a lens (focal length, brand, etc...) and the iphone takes a picture emulating the FOV of that lens and stamps the photo with your longitude and latitude as well as your tilt up and down. It's a pricey app, like $39, but I use it ALL the time.

Wow. How the hell does it emulate different focal lengths?! And more importantly, why can't they put that technology in fixed-lens cameras? That's freakin' cool. :yes:

Back