• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

So I don't really understand sound

Very noobish question:

I have access to 2 canon xl2 cameras, a lav mic, and a shotgun mic that plug into the camera.

So from reading these boards it sounds like most of you record sound on a device that is completely separate from the camera? And then you sync the sound up in post? Is that right? What kind of device do you use? Can someone give me a link or a name for me to google?

Also, what are the reasons for not just recording sound in the camera? Is the quality that poor? Or does it depend on the camera? Anyone have experience with recording sound on an xl2? Is it adequate?

I guess that's a lot of questions so I'll shut up now and wait for replies. Thanks in advance.

Never feel like you're asking too many questions. You can ask questions all you want.

Key is reading Alcove Audio's Blog on this website. This gives all the data you need to know - very very very good simple information.

Then, once you have read that, ask as many questions that you still may have. His blog already answers the questions you have - plus, the subject of sound has already been threaded on this site ad nauseam, so check out that blog first and then we'll answer any other questions you may have.

Welcome to Indietalk by the way.

Thanks for the quick reply. I went to alcoveaudio.com and didn't see a blog there. Is there another site where I can find it?

edit: oh duh, I just saw that you said the blog was on THIS website. Sorry, I'll go search for it now.

The low-down on cameras and sound is this - even the better prosumer camcorders have minimal sound implementation, even those with XLR inputs. The XL2 has only an 1/8" minipin audio input. A device like the juicedLink or BeachTek would give XLR connectivity to the XL2, but for a few dollars more you could get an H4n or DR-100 and record the audio separately. The sound quality would be about the same either way. When using a DSLR you have no choice; you must use a separate audio recording system as DSLR audio implementation is next to non-existent.

As always my first advice is to hook up with someone who knows what they are doing, starting with an ambitious, knowledgeable wannabee all the way up to a seasoned pro - whatever your budget can handle. The audio gear helps a little, but the skill and expertise of the person handling the boom and the recording counts for A LOT more.

Also, what are the reasons for not just recording sound in the camera? Is the quality that poor? Or does it depend on the camera??
If the camera allows you to record sound then why not? That sure makes life easier. Some cameras have XLR inputs but are meant to be used with an external preamp and peak stop limiter / compression. The biggest mistake people make is not using a high quality preamp. Plug the mic directly into the camera with no preamp and you can get disastrous distortion.

Also strive to get the mic as close to talent as possible to get a fat, full sound. Hide it in a pot of flowers.... or use lavalieres... do whatever it takes.

The XL2 has only an 1/8" minipin audio input. A device like the juicedLink or BeachTek would give XLR connectivity to the XL2

The XL2 has dual XLR inputs. The XL1 has the mini jack.

TERRARIUM's audio was recorded almost entirely with the XL1. I was actually happy with it, but prefer how the DVX/HVX cameras handle it.

If the camera allows you to record sound then why not?......get the mic as close to talent as possible to get a fat, full sound. Hide it in a pot of flowers.... or use lavalieres... do whatever it takes.

Unless, you have something better to record audio with, then this is the way a lot of us go. Far worse a problem is people not using boom mics to get close. I've always said that you can record on almost anything, if you properly mic the talent.

Speaking of "whatever it takes," my first feature, THE BLACK CRYSTAL, used Radio Shack mics (the under $20 ones!), PVC pipes for boom poles, and the audio routed in camera and recorded on Super 8 sound film (mag track)! At the time, those sound film cartridges were the bomb!!

Last edited:
If the camera allows you to record sound then why not? That sure makes life easier. Some cameras have XLR inputs but are meant to be used with an external preamp and peak stop limiter / compression. The biggest mistake people make is not using a high quality preamp. Plug the mic directly into the camera with no preamp and you can get disastrous distortion.

Also strive to get the mic as close to talent as possible to get a fat, full sound. Hide it in a pot of flowers.... or use lavalieres... do whatever it takes.

The thing is, it DOESN'T make life easier. It might make the editors life slightly easier (but not much, syncing sound is ridiculously easy), but it makes the camera operators life much harder as now he has a cord or cords in his way and has to worry about hitting the audio controls on the camera and messing them up. That's on top of the fact that even a mid grade field recorder ($1000 range) is going to give vastly superior sound to what you get recording to the camera.

Back