Smoking On Sceen of Movies

"Smoking in movies still a hazard, CDC says"-cnn

"The recommendations of the CDC include assigning an R-rating to films that depict tobacco imagery, anti-tobacco adds preceding films that contain onscreen tobacco use, and prohibiting tobacco brand placements in films. In 2009, the mega-blockbuster film "Avatar" (whose leading actress Sigourney Weaver portrays a cigarette-smoking environmentalist) helped account for the more than 17 billion times a tobacco incident was viewed by a movie-audience member nationwide that year, according to the study. The banning of smoking in films rated PG-13 as urged by the CDC would create an economic disincentive for producers, Glatz says, and would help prevent the tobacco imagery of such films from reaching youths in theaters."-cnn

here is the link to the full article
http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/19/smoking-in-movies-still-a-hazard-cdc-says/?hpt=T2

Just found this article online, too:

AP - LOS ANGELES, CA

"Nearly one third of the top-grossing films in 2009 contained depictions of people running with scissors in their hands, according to a report from the Center for Punctured Eye Control and Prevention.

[...]

CPEC has recommended assigning an "R" rating to films that depict running and scissors in the same scene and the total ban of both scissors and running from films rated PG-13.

"This will create an economic disincentive for producers," Gladys Doright, Director of the CPEC said. "It will help prevent the proliferation of eye-punctures nationwide, which has been on the rise as more and more youths witness the glorification of movie scissor-running. It's all fun and games until somebody puts an eye out."

*shudder*

I know it doesnt need to be said but it will make me feel better saying it. People who buy that crap need to get their heads out of their asses.

It's a good thing the CDC has no control over the MPAA. And it's a good thing that the MPAA is a secret society that makes it's own arbitrary ratings rules.

Can you believe this guy was almost Surgeon General?

And let's not forget the proliferation of shooting AK-47s at wedding celebrations in film:

(CNN) -- Three family members at a wedding in Turkey have been accidentally shot dead by the groom firing an AK-47 rifle in celebration.

The groom, Tevfik Altin, lost control of his rifle, spraying the guests with bullets and killing his father and two aunts and injuring six others...

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/e...tml?iref=obnetwork#fbid=T2k9M3KI22A&wom=false

That does sound like a movie.

It's too bad, one of the most beautiful set of shots in cinema history are a smoking scene. The shot of Rachel in Blade Runner, when she's taking the Voight-Kampff test.

Watch this entire scene--one of the most beautiful scenes in cinema history. The smoking starts at 2:35...watch how the smoke plays with the scene, and the DP knew exactly what he was doing. Man this scene makes me drool.

Here is the video, however, I suggest you watch in in HD if you can. I'm sure you can find it in 720...this link only goes to 480:

BTW, HUGE SPOILER if you haven't seen the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuZtPnpZtI

Last edited:
:lol: Tobacco incidents. Epic.

I wouldn't wish my smoking habit on the people I hate the most - but movies are works of FICTION and adults should be able to tell the difference and make educated choices. With regards to children - their PARENTS are the ones responsible for ensuring that they don't take on nasty habits, not screenwriters, not Lion's Gate, not Billy Bob Thorton. Parents, FFS.

There's an award for folks that hurt themselves imitating what they see in fiction, it's called a Darwin. :)

Just found this article online, too:

AP - LOS ANGELES, CA

"Nearly one third of the top-grossing films in 2009 contained depictions of people running with scissors in their hands, according to a report from the Center for Punctured Eye Control and Prevention.

[...]

CPEC has recommended assigning an "R" rating to films that depict running and scissors in the same scene and the total ban of both scissors and running from films rated PG-13.

"This will create an economic disincentive for producers," Gladys Doright, Director of the CPEC said. "It will help prevent the proliferation of eye-punctures nationwide, which has been on the rise as more and more youths witness the glorification of movie scissor-running. It's all fun and games until somebody puts an eye out."

*shudder*

Where the hell did you find that? The Onion News Network? :lol:

Back