• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Slow year, hoping 2015 is busier :)

Only got around to putting one project together, a music video for the San Diego band Abandon The Raft. EAST is now on YouTube, better version on vimeo. (still can’t embed vimeo here?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j-mzl_a6pU

Vimeo http://flickerpictures.com/atr.html

Being a generalist and wearing all those hats has finally run its course for me. Had to play a part in the video when an actor bailed on me. Ugh. I'll never be a gear head or an AE guru. I feel good about EAST, although it could have been much better had there been even a small crew to work with (it’s no Mulligan’s Island), but the budget wasn’t there. Is it ever? I know my limits and I think its best to play to what strengths I have. Would love to team up with a skilled DP, and possibly an editor, in the Boston area who are like minded and open to collaboration.

That said, I'm still writing, which doesn't cost a dime. :)

Hope everyone is doing well and up to good things!

Hey Jeff, good to hear from you. The video looks great – you might not be a VFX, but you're definitely an SFX one. The things you manage to achieve with predominantly practical FX continues to amaze me.

2014 was kind of a slow year for me to, or, at least, a year of two halves. The first half was very much dominated by completing my studies, but, since then, I've struggled to know exactly how I want to kick on. I've done a couple of projects and have some other things on the back-burner, but I'm also trying to find interesting permanent work, and trying to avoid spending too much time in unpaid internships or on unpaid gigs. So I've found September/Oct/Nov/December a pretty frustrating period. Like you I hope that 2015 is busier and that I manage to make some breakthroughs!

Nice of you to say, Nick. Thanks. Next one will actually be low on concept, but hopefully the camera work will look slick. We'll see.

Here's to breakthroughs in 2015! :cheers:

That's a cool fucking video! Hell yeah! Harkens back to the days of early MTV, when videos were short on money, but overflowing with creativity. I like it!

Impressive creativity with the tossed salad of effects! Very nice.

Would've like to see more story in the video and less random.

The two colliding aspects of the man at the end suggested a great opportunity to expand upon - but adds to the complexity of execution.

Hey, glad you dig this one. Definitely a frenetic blast of salad in your face. :D Next musvid will probably be tame in comparison, but that’s OK with me. One long slo-mo take? Simple editing? Sign me up! :contract:

Liked it. I learned a lot from that. Clever, intelligent, good ideas. Would've liked to have seen grittier effects and some kind of story but that's just my subjective view.

Hey Gorilla, thanks for watching and offering your reaction. I won't get into some of the bigger challenges I struggled with, but for this particular music video my instinct was to steer away from a formal narrative and instead let the visuals and abstract imagery take center stage, to sort of wrap a mixed-bag mosaic around the song's lyrics. From scanning through comments, in this thread and elsewhere, it seems like I was somewhat able to achieve that goal at the expense of viewers wanting a more cohesive story, which is the approach I typically take and is usually what I tend to prefer in a music video. Not always, but most of the time. For EAST it was a creative choice that clearly has its tradeoffs. I definitely find it useful to learn what folks make of this sort of thing, whether it be positive, negative or somewhere in between! :)

Back