• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Slow motion Question

I've seen some people ask the question but I cannot find a straight answer.

I am shooting a film at 1080/24p.

For a slomo shot is it better to shoot it at 1080/60i or 720/60p.

Which is going to be the easier of the two to work with for the continuity of the film and also which will be cleaner slomotion. I can use either fcp 6 or ae cs4 for the effect.

I'd love to do tests but I need to know quickly and if someone has already gone through this some quick answers could really help out.

Thanks

Just read about this in The DV Rebels Guide..

Depending on how slow is slow you may want to consider 1080/30p. We think that 24 and 30 are close numbers, but really, 30fps its almost 25% "slower" then 24fps. (30p played back at 24p) So, if a little slow is slow enough.. go with 30p...

I think the 1080/60i in which you lose only some of the vertical resolution, as opposed to the 720/60p where you lose 1/2 the resolution all around would look better.

But your not limited to in camera slow mo. I believe Videocopiolt.net has a tutorial on getting super slow mo. by interpolation (pixel motion) using AE from 24p (or similar) footage.

I just did this. Shot 1080/60i, transferred to FCP6. Exported as a QT file and imported into Apple compressor. Set playback speed to 200% deinterlaced, which caused Compressor to take each field and interpolate the missing scan lines using Optical Flow. I now had a full-res, half-speed 30p clip. Then reimported into compressor and converted to 24p, then imported into my FCP timeline.

I just did this. Shot 1080/60i, transferred to FCP6. Exported as a QT file and imported into Apple compressor. Set playback speed to 200% deinterlaced, which caused Compressor to take each field and interpolate the missing scan lines using Optical Flow. I now had a full-res, half-speed 30p clip. Then reimported into compressor and converted to 24p, then imported into my FCP timeline.

Can you suggest a similar flow for Win'ders.. ??

The missing bit is the Compressor app, can I make AE do this instead?

Thanks

Not sure. Never edited with a Windows app.

Nice thing about Compressor is it uses the Optical Flow algorithm originally developed for Shake to interpolate the missing fields. Maybe AE does something similar, but I don't know for certain.

Thanks

in AE, import the 60i footage, right click the file in the project browser and click "interpret footage">main and make sure "Seperate Fields: upper first" is set and Preserve Edges is checked. Drag the footage to the "make new comp" icon. Go to Comp>comp settings and set the frame rate to 23.976. Right click the footage in the comp and go to Time>Time Stretch and set to 200%.

60i -> 24p (ish) looks good.

PS> not my idea.: http://www.vimeo.com/619595

So let let get this clear, we are in agreement that the slo mo will be better if I shoot 1080/60i instead of 720/60p??

With 1080i60 for slowmo you basically capture 1.036.800 pixels (1920x540) of the full res image (2.073.600) while with 720p60 its only 921.600 (1280x720). So yes, theoretically 1080i should look a little better but the end result will so much depend on the algorithm used to deinterlace/stretch that I would not rely on pixel count and do a test shoot first no matter what.

Last edited:
Back