Size of Crew

I was just wondering what successful films were shot with a very small crew... a director, DP, sound guy(s), guys to do the light..., and maybe a few other jobs (tell me what)...

It really depends on what you consider a successful film is? Film getting into profit? Just being able to complete the film? Jump started the directors career? Had a very positive message that made a difference? Merely entertaining? Critically acclaimed?

This could be almost anything. However, I do think I understand what your getting at. I personally believe two very successful films that had small crews or a large crew that worked for free would be "El Mariachi" and "Bad Taste". I guess you might even consider "Blair Witch" part of that group as well. I am not quite sure what your looking for, but that is my opinion.

We work with a smaller crew (4-7 people), we've shot six features in six years (and the director has DP'ed other features during that time), all of which have seen national distribution, and all of which have paid themselves back in time.

I wouldn't call them mainstream successful, but we get attention by name magazines and websites.

Are we making a lot of money? Nope. But I consider our movies a success...at least on a smaller scale. And in terms of local clout, we are known by the majority of filmmakers as being one of the only company that sells our shit.

To be completely honest...I think large crews screw up independent film making. On larger budget films it works fine, because people either get their job done, or they get fired. On micro budget productions, a large crew slows things down...there is a lot more bullshitting going on, people aren't sure what they should be doing, and there tend to be egos...

I mean it when I say our sets run more smoothly than any set I've worked on, and we have so few people working on it (even us actors are crew). We can shoot 10 pages in a full day if we bust our ass...and that's with a lot of coverage.

I really am not bragging here...I'm being forthcoming to answer the OP's inquiry.

Here is a link to our site: www.scorpiofilmreleasing.net

The director is Richard Griffin of Scorpio Film Releasing. Yes I'm bias...lol. Sorry.

On a feature I'd consider 15 people a "skeleton crew".

If I'm directing, I don't have time to...
move lights, make sure people are in wardrobe, do their makeup, find the nearest source of electricity, run lines with actors, make the script notes, watch continuity, etc... I need to be thinking about the shots, looking at the big picture.

This is astonishing...two differing answers from two filmmakers who each have movies in the exclusive Lovecraft festival at the same time...

In an alternate universe where time and money weren't concerns, I'd love for both M1chae1 and Gonzo to produce behind-the-scenes/making-of documentaries of their next productions for exclusive distribution to Indietalk. We could then observe both sides of the crew size question in action. Now, what size crew will each use for these documentaries...

It's such a debatable topic.

It's all in how people work together, and how well they work.

something to help: (which can be debatable as well)

More crew members = less downtime = efficency = Better production
&
Money = happy crew member = better worker

So basicaly, if you have money to pay people, bigger crew is typically better.

On a feature I'd consider 15 people a "skeleton crew".

If I'm directing, I don't have time to...
move lights, make sure people are in wardrobe, do their makeup, find the nearest source of electricity, run lines with actors, make the script notes, watch continuity, etc... I need to be thinking about the shots, looking at the big picture.

Oh I agree, the director has to direct. And even with our 7 person crew, the director can do that. The thing is, we all wear multiple hats...that's the key. All of the other filming malarkey is taken care of...Richard just shoots and directs (for the most part). Yes there are times when he'll shift a light, or grab his tripod, or help build a prop...but that's all part of the fun! :) Trust me...having 7 hard working individuals running around with great attitude can get more work done than you'd expect.

This is astonishing...two differing answers from two filmmakers who each have movies in the exclusive Lovecraft festival at the same time...

In an alternate universe where time and money weren't concerns, I'd love for both M1chae1 and Gonzo to produce behind-the-scenes/making-of documentaries of their next productions for exclusive distribution to Indietalk. We could then observe both sides of the crew size question in action. Now, what size crew will each use for these documentaries...

If I had someone to edit all the footage I'd have a behind the scenes on the current film.

I'll defer to Michael that he may well worked with an AWESOME crew, where people can wear that many hats without being overwhelmed, I was lucky to get people to do their own jobs, much less anybody elses.

The only real "failure" was my wardrobe person. I don't know how many times I begged her to tell me what she needed, and I'd write the check, but wound up having to find most of the stuff myself anyway.

If I had someone to edit all the footage I'd have a behind the scenes on the current film.

I'll defer to Michael that he may well worked with an AWESOME crew, where people can wear that many hats without being overwhelmed, I was lucky to get people to do their own jobs, much less anybody elses.

The only real "failure" was my wardrobe person. I don't know how many times I begged her to tell me what she needed, and I'd write the check, but wound up having to find most of the stuff myself anyway.

Our director is also the shooter and editor as well. Every now and then we do have a behind the scenes guy come in and shoot some footage, but not often enough. Our previous film (NUN OF THAT) does have a behind the scenes with some cool footage, but most of the BtS is interview footage with the cast and crew.

Ya, we are lucky to have a great crew...that's why I'm having such a great time, and we're consistently kicking out a feature a year. We're all good friends too, which makes every day on set a good time (well...almost every day).

I think on an indie set...everyone should wear multiple hats. Find talented, passionate individuals...it's not that overwhelming. And it can remain fun, as long as everyone continues to work whilst having fun. Too many indie sets BS far too much...just because you're BSing doesn't mean you have to stop setting the light up...or wait to tell that awesome long story before you grab the dolly tracks...the key is to keep moving while you BS...:)

Back