• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Simulate Lighting Through Water

We are building a set that will appear to be underwater. We will have one large window with a green screen behind which will be composited with an underwater scene for the background. However, I am trying to figure out the best most cost efficient way to simulate lighting from the water into the room using real lights, not CG. Light that would show the caustics of the moving water on the walls and our actors. Any ideas how this can be done?

Just to be clear, the room is supposed to appear dry, but outside the window is underwater? Like a submarine?

In reality, it's actually pretty dark under water usually, but to pull off what you're wanting I'd light with really, really soft light and maybe even shine it through an aquarium. Blue gel could be nice too, especially gradient that changes shades of blue you could move in fornt of the light to add a little texture.

You could also, very subtlety, ride the dimmer and bring the light up and down a little bit. Not like TV flicker, but very, very subtle.

Anywhere near Seaworld Orlando? Take a visit and go to one of the underground rooms where you can see in a tank. Might give you some ideas, plus you get to see some fish haha.

If you're looking for a rippling effect on the walls, you might try a technique I employed for my last film:

Place a mirrored tile in the bottom of a flat cake pan and add about an inch of water.

Shine a spotlight onto the mirror and position the light so that its reflected beam hits where you want it to.

Have an assistant gently oscillate the pan of water.

Repeat as many times as needed to create the desired effect.

Back