Simple animation?

So I'm planning my Kickstarter/IndieGoGo fundraising campaign for my feature, and I have this awesome idea for a video for it.

Without giving too much away, I basically want to take some footage that I've filmed and then scribble things over the top of it. I have a Wacom tablet that I know I can use for the scribbling, but I'm wondering what the best way to record the live scribbling is.

The only thing I can think of is a screen capture program, but the quality with those is usually less than ideal, and I'd be limited in the resolution of the animation.

Can I do this in After Effects somehow? Or is there a free program I could use to do this? It's nothing complicated, and I can composite each scribble into the final video easily enough, I'm just not sure of the best way to record the scribbling. Thanks!

The way I would do it is to make a transparent png of the writing in PS at whatever resolution you want. Then composite it into your footage in AE. Then throw a mask over the text and keyframe the mask to reveal the text as though you are writing it.

Or perhaps someone will come along and point out a plug-in or script that will do that sort of thing for you. I feel like there has to be something out there that can do it more easily.

This is not so hard for static shots, but if you have a moving shot, and you circle something, you'd want the circle to STICK to what you circled.. get me?

I believe you can do "motion sketch" in after effects.. its in the animation stuff..

This tut shows how to move an object
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdmnKMgroD8

You should be able to move a shape layer or particle to follow your path.. dont know though.. Im sure its doable..

This is not so hard for static shots, but if you have a moving shot, and you circle something, you'd want the circle to STICK to what you circled.. get me?

I believe you can do "motion sketch" in after effects.. its in the animation stuff..

This tut shows how to move an object
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdmnKMgroD8

You should be able to move a shape layer or particle to follow your path.. dont know though.. Im sure its doable..

Cool. Not quite what I want to do, but this actually really helps me out in another project I'm working on! :yes:

I think I found instructions for what I want to do. As soon as I finish up work for the day I'll be trying it out. Thanks everyone!

Back