Should I go to film school?

Hi everyone!

I could use some advice and motivation regarding my future. My biggest dream is to make series and movies. I realize getting into the film business is ambitious, and I'm not necessarily talking about Hollywood, just being able to work on my personal projects and devote myself to my passion. I would be happy doing it part time if that's necessary, maybe just uploading content online. I spend a lot of free time writing scripts, ideas, songs, and I've been making short movies since I was a kid. I like being involved in all aspects of production - from writing to filming and editing, as well as being in front of the camera. Creating music and graphics for my shows is also something I enjoy.

So my question is, how can I make my dream come true? I have no network, no one I know are interested in filming, and it's hard to stay motivated when I'm stuck alone with my projects. I have considered film school, although a lot of people warn you that it's expensive and the degree is worthless. My motivation for going to film school is developing my skills so I can produce better videos in the future, being forced to work on projects and deal with deadlines, so I can devote myself full time and develop. And my biggest motivation may be meeting other people with my passions, so I can build a network and find people to work with.

What advice do you people here have for me in regards to how I can make this happen? Should I go to film school or not, and what could be some options for me? Is there a different road I can take?

Thanks for reading, much appreciated.

At film school there are people who are interested in making films.
Downside could be that there will not be many time for your own plans left besides all the assignments.

Who is 'everyone', who's saying filmschool is expensive?
It depends on where you want to study. Do you know what it would cost in Norway?
If you read on internet that it is expensive: that's because most education in the USA costs much and much more (sometimes easily tenfold) than in western Europe. And most of such comments come from US citizens. :P

This is something you need to decide yourself.
There will always be examples of people going to filmschool and never making it or people not going to filmschool and still making it big time. Just like there are people who went to filmschool who make a living with film, or people without filmschool never making it big.

Try the search function: there are dozens of pages written right here on IT on this very subject.

At film school there are people who are interested in making films.
Downside could be that there will not be many time for your own plans left besides all the assignments.

Who is 'everyone', who's saying filmschool is expensive?
It depends on where you want to study. Do you know what it would cost in Norway?
If you read on internet that it is expensive: that's because most education in the USA costs much and much more (sometimes easily tenfold) than in western Europe. And most of such comments come from US citizens. :P

This is something you need to decide yourself.
There will always be examples of people going to filmschool and never making it or people not going to filmschool and still making it big time. Just like there are people who went to filmschool who make a living with film, or people without filmschool never making it big.

Try the search function: there are dozens of pages written right here on IT on this very subject.
Thank you for your reply.
I have decided this is my biggest ambition in life, and something I want to pursue, but whether I should go to film school or not is difficult to decide since there is so much I don't know.

There are very few options in Norway, and I have always dreamed of studying abroad - USA being my biggest dream. It also makes sense since USA has such a big movie industry, and I'd love to work there if I ever get the chance. Do you know about affordable film schools in USA, or where I can find this information? I am open to taking the chances I get, whether it's a different country in Europe or Norway. But at this point I'm just trying to figure out whether I should purse film school or not.

I agree with your point that some people go to school and never make it, and some people never go to school and are successful. But since I don't know where to start without going to film school, it's something I consider. I know I won't be able to work a lot on my personal projects there, but just being able to work on projects and gain knowledge is something I'd love to do, and with the experience and network I get there, my personal projects may be possible in the future. If I don't go to film school, what other options do I have at this point?

There is nothing stopping you from doing that without film school.
JUST DO IT!
That's true, but if you read the rest of my post, having no network and something to push me to work, is an obstacle for me. It's just hard to find motivation to study alone, when I don't know if I'll ever make my projects happen. If I don't have film school, I need some other type of plan.

I have decided this is my biggest ambition in life

It's all good and well to dream. Time to turn it into action.

Take some time and decide for yourself whether you should go to film school. In the mean time, go out there and make films. If it's in your blood, you'll make it happen.

If you want others to help you decide, you'll need to include all relevant information. Who you are, what you do, how you best learn, personality, connections and so on. I personally believe you need to make the decision yourself and own it.

I don't know if I'll ever make my projects happen

If you don't have the drive to make it happen, they won't.

hard to find motivation

Time to make the hard call. If it's hard to find motivation BEFORE you've run into anything remotely difficult, are you going to have what it takes to survive the big leagues. Might be time to call it quits here before it gets tough.

Welcome to indietalk!

I believe you have answered your question better than any of here can.

It's just hard to find motivation to study alone, when I don't know if I'll ever make my projects happen.
it's hard to stay motivated when I'm stuck alone with my projects
If I don't go to film school, what other options do I have at this point?

You don't have the motivation to study alone so you MUST go to film school.
If you had the motivation to make movies you would make movies, you would
overcome any obstacle in your way, you would look for reason to make movies
not tell us the reasons why you can't make movies.

My advice is to go to film school.

Even thought this is your biggest ambition in life you do not seem ready to make
the difficult sacrifices that must be made. And that is personal motivation even
when stuck alone with your projects. So film school is for you.

Do you know about affordable film schools in USA, or where I can find this information
Films schools in the USA are expensive. Living in the USA is expensive. Getting a
visa to go to school and live in the USA is expensive. Check THIS GOOGLE LINK
to find information. Use a similar search to find film schools in Europe

I have no network, no one I know are interested in filming, and it's hard to stay motivated when I'm stuck alone with my projects.

1. Why are you stuck alone with your projects? Have you tried looking beyond just the people you know and getting to know other people? I can't believe that in a prosperous, developed European capital city of nearly 2m people, there's no one at all "interested in filming".

2. Making films for a living is massively competitive, there are many more people who dream of doing it than there are professional positions/opportunities for those people. Furthermore, being a professional is generally quite different from what most people expect. You don't get to "work on my personal projects and devote myself to my passion", if you're lucky, you get to work on other people's projects. It takes many years to work your way up to being a director, if ever you get that far, and even if you do, you still usually have far less freedom than many expect/dream of.

3. Film schools generally provide the motivation to pass a qualification but provide little motivation to actually become an employable professional. To a large extent they tend to foster the same attitude and dreams as most amateur filmmakers; examining the history and artistic aspects of the top filmmaking positions and highest achievers, rather than the day to day skills, knowledge and practicalities of how today's films are actually made and of actually being suitable for employment.

With regard particularly to point #1; it appears you are dreaming of a miracle rather than have the motivation to actually put in the work and dedication necessary to succeed in the industry. If this is the case, then film school won't be much help to you because film schools only provide a basic education. They don't even usually provide any opportunities, only the circumstances to make your own, and they certainly don't provide miracles!

It also makes sense since USA has such a big movie industry ...

The USA does have a big and the most famous movie industry, and just like you, it "also makes sense" to virtually everyone else in the world who dreams of being a filmmaker! So while there may indeed be a hundred times more opportunities in say Hollywood than in Oslo, there are probably a thousand times more people competing for those opportunities. The actual facts are; that your odds are probably just as good, if not significantly better, in Oslo!

If you are serious about getting into the film industry, then you need to get serious; address the actual facts and apply the work/effort to your reality, rather than dreaming of a miracle occurring in some alternate reality, like say Hollywood!

G

I appreciate the replies, everyone.
However, I do feel like most people are suggesting "just go out and film", though. How many here have actually started out completely alone, in their late 20s? I've worked in groups before, and that's obviously a very different experience. Finding a way when you're isolated and lack options is not that easy, even if you are motivated. Oslo is smaller than a lot of people realize, and I currently do not live there anymore. I have only found one Norwegian film maker forum, and it died years ago. So film school is one of very few ideas I have to build a network.
I feel like I've come off as unmotivated to work hard, but that's not true. I just lack options that other people take for granted, and I am looking for advice on how to get around it, and how I can make a long term plan for my future so I can get started. To be honest I've gone through a rough patch in my life lately, and just need some practical advice and motivation to get unstuck, that doesn't mean I'm lazy. I still work with projects on my own, but I think people who have been in my situation know that it can be challenging to always keep the motivation up?

Is there no Norwegian filmmakers group on facebook?
Isn't there a messageboard for filmcrew?
In the Netherland there are a few of them, where people look for people to work together.
There you could join projects and get to know people and ask people to help you out.
Is there a theater nearby where people take acting class?

In 1999 I was dreaming of making movies.
I didn't know anyone into filmmaking, but my friends. None of us had any gear at all.
Yeah, I know what you mean.
We just kept thinking about crazy ideas, untilone of my friends had a new pc with a webcam, so we could shoot minitiatures. My parents got a scanner, so I could draw animations and scan every frame.
In 2001 I went to artschool in Rotterdam: never regreted it and indeed: motivated people to work with.

Whatever you choose to do: going out there and film will always be part of it.
If you can't shoot, you can write or draw.
It might not go at the pace you'd like it to go, but you don't have to wait till filmschool.

However, I do feel like most people are suggesting "just go out and film", though. How many here have actually started out completely alone, in their late 20s?

I started out completely alone and I just turned 33 yesterday!
I can't say I've really gone anywhere :lol:

But I have made some short films and hope is alive.
Another 2 years and the plan is to be working on a feature length film.. or at least have a couple feature scripts written.

However, I do feel like most people are suggesting "just go out and film",
That's what you wanted; peoples opinion. Seems like most people's
opinion is what you don't want. No one has said it would be easy,
but most have said you should make movies even if it's NOT easy.

I feel like I've come off as unmotivated to work hard, but that's not true. I just lack options that other people take for granted, and I am looking for advice on how to get around it, and how I can make a long term plan for my future so I can get started.
You are right, your first few posts do sound like you're not motivated
to do the work it takes in your challenging situation. I think you got
some good advice; not on how to get around it but how to make it
work within your specific situation.
To be honest I've gone through a rough patch in my life lately, and just need some practical advice and motivation to get unstuck, that doesn't mean I'm lazy. I still work with projects on my own, but I think people who have been in my situation know that it can be challenging to always keep the motivation up?
I know how challenging it can be to keep the motivation up. I don't believe
there is much practical advice to get unstuck. Other than what you have
already gotten.

I'm one who suggested you go to film school. That should give you the
motivation to get unstuck. Did you look at any of the links I offered? Does
that give you any motivation to move towards the film school option?

Is there no Norwegian filmmakers group on facebook?

I remember there was this big thing about a group from that region a while back. I think some of their material was posted here. Might be worth the OP to go digging.

Finding a way when you're isolated and lack options is not that easy

lol@easy. It'll only get harder. If you want an easy life, find another profession. If you can be stopped by motivation it's probably better that you don't become a filmmaker. If you cannot conquer what you can control, how are you going to conquer what is outside your control?

So film school is one of very few ideas I have to build a network.
I just lack options that other people take for granted, and I am looking for advice on how to get around it

I stumbled across a video yesterday on the Rocket Jump forums. Low resources required. It's no award winner. It's an example of what you could do SOLO. No team required for this. If you say you cannot find a team of one, I'm going reach through your monitor and slap you through the interweb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJWDw5P75U

Grab your phone, beg, borrow or steal an office, or write for your bedroom/living room etc and shoot.

how I can make a long term plan for my future so I can get started.

Get started. At the moment, you're a dreamer. A filmmaker wannabe. When are you going to step up and become a filmmaker? You'll have no future without that first step.

I still work with projects on my own, but I think people who have been in my situation know that it can be challenging to always keep the motivation up?

No one gives a rats ass how hard your life has been. If you want to stay a wannabe, be my guest. It's your life. Your decision. Only you can give yourself the motivation to become a filmmaker. You need to stop waiting for the opportunity to come to you and grab life by the balls. Make that first step, whatever it is. It doesn't have to be a perfect first step, just step in the right direction. Enroll into film school, start writing, start shooting, start building your network. Do all of it. You'll make mistakes. You'll learn. You'll alter course. You need to get shooting, make films. If you don't stop being a wannabe, all you'll have is your ambition to be a filmmaker and never become one.

PS. I hope I pissed you off enough to get motivated to go and do it!

Back