Should I file movies under a parent co. or just per movie??

Hi,

My question is, if you know you will end up doing at least three films, is it better to file them as a Corp. under a parent company? Or just three Corps. or LLC's as you make the movies and then just dissolve them once the movie affairs for that specific movie is finished?

Thank you for your time,
Rick

Would they still not be seperate if they're filed seperately as subsidiary entities? Hence the expenses of one can offset the profits of another under the parent company? Or the profits of the first could be absorbed by the expenses of the second or third film?I don't know, I'm just asking. Thanks for your reply.

Rick L.

My question is, if you know you will end up doing at least three films, is it better to file them as a Corp. under a parent company? Or just three Corps. or LLC's as you make the movies and then just dissolve them once the movie affairs for that specific movie is finished?
Some taxi companies have a corporation for EACH taxi cab. The purpose is to add extra layers of protection against lawsuits. For movies this may or may not be overkill. I don't know.

A separate LLC for each movie is the standard practice in Hollywood and it's a good one. It helps you in protecting against law suits. However, if you are not that big of a filmmaker, creating a separate LLC for each movie can be cumbersome.

As posters above have noted creating separate LLC's will limit your liability. Another thing to focus on is your fund raising. If you are personally funded you most likely would want to keep it all under your main company but if you are taking in investors they will need to know if their investment is in each separate project or in your production company.

Back