legal Should I copyright my creation?

Good morning, I got a little internship job (that is very flexible) near my house. I recently created a music video for my boss. I was supposed to do it for free but she gave me $100. That is very low (for the number of hours and work I have put into it) but it's better than nothing, and it's my first time being paid so I'm still very happy about it. I asked her what she was going to do with it, and she told me that it will depend on how good my music video is and that if it's good it will be shared on every social media platform.
So, here is my question. I'm young but I'm not naive and I think I should protect my work. Should I copyright my music video before sending it to her? Should I ask for revenue from the ads? Should I even copyright my music video?
I have not much experience in this field and to be quite honest, I, unfortunately, can't afford a lawyer to tell me what to do. Some recommendations or help from you guys would be very sweet :)
Thank you.
Happy new year by the way!

Last edited:
Why is it YOUR music video if she is paying you for it? You better figure that part out first. If I paid for a music video to be made, I would make sure I owned it.

Nope you don't sound arrogant it is good to ask now. It sounds like a work for hire meaning she will own it, if you want to own it as well, or have any rights to distribute it, it needs to be clear.

Usually the band or label would want to own it and it would be a work for hire. You would need to write up an agreement if you would like to retain rights to distribute it freely, so you can submit to festivals, and post on social media. There's really no benefit to owning any portion of it, you don't own the music, and it won't make money. If $100 if not enough you should ask for more, and that is your pay, not any ad revenue. If you do want to co-own it you need to have that in writing. Whatever you want to do. Legal issues often seem complicated but it just boils down to what you want. And get that in writing.

It sounds like you already made the video and she has paid you for it? It's a first project, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Send her your wishes in an email so you have a paper trail and make sure she knows you would like the rights to enter festivals and distribute via social media. Next time, contracts first not after.

Back