• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Should I choose such a setting?

In my screenplay, the main character has to find some items hidden in three different locations(cities). It's not easy choosing them...:) Could one of them be a city close to my own hometown(outside United States)...? I've been there in college and with other occassions, so I know many of its places... I just had this idea and would like to see some of the script's action in that city. Is this an ok thing to do or should I choose a different, more famous location, as this could create problems? Thanks for answering!:)

Well, that all depends on your story, doesn't it.

For example, if you’re going for some “DaVinci Code” type of story, where the protagonist has to retrieve these items from the Empire State Building, the Tower Of London and the Colosseum, then, obviously, the location is important. If they’re just being safeguarded in a bank, for example, then that could be any city.

Just do whatever suits your story. Don’t worry about the city not being recognisable.

Yeah, pretty much the above. If it makes sense to the story, go for it.

Da Vinci Code, with it's uber-important artifacts, does better in large cities. If it's something like Bonnie and Clyde, robbing banks, it doesn't matter so much.

I think we'd all need more actual info on the story to give any kind of advice. How important are the MacGuffins (ahem, collectibles) to the story, and in the grand scheme of things? Are they like the Holy Grail and Ark of the Covenant, or are they like bowling trophies?

Yeah, pretty much the above. If it makes sense to the story, go for it.

Da Vinci Code, with it's uber-important artifacts, does better in large cities. If it's something like Bonnie and Clyde, robbing banks, it doesn't matter so much.

I think we'd all need more actual info on the story to give any kind of advice. How important are the MacGuffins (ahem, collectibles) to the story, and in the grand scheme of things? Are they like the Holy Grail and Ark of the Covenant, or are they like bowling trophies?

The story is a science-fiction in which there are some real life codes, similar to video game codes, that give various abilities or items to those who use/read them. These codes are found on pieces of paper. After using a code to get 1 thousand dollars, the main character draws the attention of both a good and an evil organization. The hero and the villain race to find three such codes: invincibility, immortality and manipulation. They are forbidden due to their effects and the hero must prevent the villain from acquiring and using them. Each of them is on a piece of paper located in...and this is where my questions begin!:)

if you want my opinion, people get sick of movies being set in New York

...Anyone who is "sick" of movies set in New York has pre-determined personal issues to where they will never be pleased no matter WHERE you placed your movie's setting. That's absolutely ridiculous.

-Birdman

That seems unfair... It's valid to be annoyed about a disproportionate number of films being set in a handful of common/famous locations. It doesn't annoy me, but I wouldn't begrudge someone for wanting a more *average* setting.

That seems unfair... It's valid to be annoyed about a disproportionate number of films being set in a handful of common/famous locations. It doesn't annoy me, but I wouldn't begrudge someone for wanting a more *average* setting.

...I think this is more based on the personal opinions of people from foreign countries. I'm sorry that the majority of movies are based in American settings, but that's just the way it goes. America thrives on movies, we love them, we breed them and they end up set in the places we are most familiar with. Until other countries carve out their own version of Hollywood, ....you're going to see even more movies set in New York.

Americans love baseball. ...What city would you think would be best for a movie about a N.Y Met baseball player?

-Birdman

P.S. I love movies in foreign locations... unfortunately foreign countries don't do enough of them.

Last edited:
You have lots of good advice from the posters above.

My dollar's worth...

Do whatever is best for your story. If that is a smaller town that no one may have heard of then fair enough. But if the town/city plays a prominent role then you may want one that people will likely have heard of - but then again maybe not, as there is always a bit of a kick from taking the audience/your reader somewhere new.

Budget wise, as others have said, the production company will likely shoot wherever is cheaper and fake the shots to look where they need to look like. They can also do wide shots of the actual city in your script or simply purchase those from others.

I'm sorry that the majority of movies are based in American settings, but that's just the way it goes. America thrives on movies, we love them, we breed them and they end up set in the places we are most familiar with. Until other countries carve out their own version of Hollywood, ....you're going to see even more movies set in New York.

That's a total non-sequitur and another of the famous Straw Men of Birdman (Straw Birds?). I am sure there are other cities in the USA than New York and LA, and yet a large proportion of movies seem to be set in just these two places. Yes, the mighty USA has all the power when it comes to movie locations, and we measly foreigners must bow down and thank the 'mericans for their grace and bounty... but still, there is a lot more to the USA than LA and New York, especially when there is no specific, unavoidable narrative reason for a film to be set there.

If I recall correctly, Breaking Bad was originally meant to be set in a suburb or LA, but the move to Abq made it a better series, and more distinctive, unique and iconic than a generic Californian setting could ever have managed. TV is much more imaginative in its locations than movies, I've found.

Last edited:
Ahhhh, ....Maz, Maz, Maz,

Yes, the mighty USA has all the power when it comes to movie locations, and we measly foreigners must bow down and thank the 'mericans for their grace and bounty... but still, there is a lot more to the USA than LA and New York, especially when there is no specific, unavoidable narrative reason for a film to be set there..

Do not confuse a "statement of fact" with a Straw Man commentary.

The reason why NY is the focus of so many movies is because it IS THE FOCUS of human life. Just like Rome was the focus back in its day, NY is the focus now. NY represents the cumulative force of what mankind can come up with on its own (without God)... and it's not a pretty sight.

Terrorists don't fly passenger jets into bugalows in Albuquerque. They fly them into gigantic towering corporate structures that represent a free society contrary to their religious beliefs.

Giant gorillas don't sit on ball bearing factories in Dayton, Ohio. They don't kick around farm houses in Idaho. They climb up the tallest building ever made in the world (at the time) in New York city.

Magneto isn't interested in wasting his mutant powers on levitating the Market Street bridge in Tennessee. He'd much rather set his sights a little bit higher and take out San Francisco's Golden Gate bridge and increase his overall "shack factor" to human society.

Whenever there is a terrorist threat levied on the world, the two cities that come to mind are Las Angeles and New York city. It's NOT because Birdman thinks NY and LA are sooooo much better than the other "measly" foreign cities of the world. It's because sadly they represent the best that mankind has supposedly come up with to date.

Take out NY and LA.... and you've pretty much destroyed modern civilization.

Now, I would remind you that Tokyo, Paris, Moscow, London and Bangkok are commonly used in movies as they ALSO represent humanity congregating in large masses with notable landmarks that serve as targets and symbols. That's why I say, "When these foreign countries carve out their own version of Hollywood, then other cities will get more movie settings."

For now, you're stuck with NY and LA for the majority of movie settings. If you don't like it... nothing I can do to change it, because it's just LIFE!

-Birdman

Last edited:
First of all, I'm kinda disagree about "almost all movies made in NY". There are lots of good movies made abroad. But yes, they make most of them in NY. Why? Let's see...

1) - People go somewhere they know, rather than unfamiliar places.
2) - Most of the casting crew live in NY/LA, which makes it easier and cheaper.
3) - People love to see monsters crushing NY :)

Birdman, LA and NY are not the centers of civilization. You just don't know what the entire world looks upon. Did you know that the entire eastern Asian population barely looks at US? The same is Europe and Russia, which have their own entertainment cultures that have nothing to do with US. Africa and South America don't care as well.

What you're saying is true only about English spoken countries, which are UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and etc... And the Muslem world, but they look the same at other cultures... And Israel, because it has always been its political ally.

Last edited:
I'm a realist, inarius. If America falls, so goes the rest of the world. To believe anything else is simply not being realistic.

I am in no way proud of my country as I see it regressing into a shadow of its formal self, but it represents (or represented) what a country based on individual freedom can do without a government ruling by force. What America has (had) achieved is unparalleled by any other society in the history of mankind. But that's clearly changing now as America is choosing "life in a cage" vs. freedom of thought.

So as I said before, if America goes down... What remains is what mankind has been dealing with since the beginning of history. ....Tyrany.

I don't have to "convince" anyone if this fact, because it will probably reveal itself soon enough.

-Birdman

Last edited:
even on an indie budget, it's easy enough to do. Stock footage transitions of Major City of Choice, then internal scenes wherever you can film. So in your story, video game codes, maybe Seattle or Tokyo? The city you choose should have some relation to your story, rather than being arbitrary, but movies are all about faking it.

Birdman, I don't know what you're talking about. Most non-American films are set outside the US, so there's plenty to choose from. Even in Hollywood films; I've spent all day marathoning the X-Men movies, and there's one action sequence set in NYC (the first movie) and none in LA. There are a lot of movies set in NYC and LA, but I'm not sure if you could say the majority of them.

Josh,

You need to read a few posts prior to my replies. Some are complaining about the number of movies based in NYC. "Made them sick" as I recall.

Maybe they will also read your reply?

-Birdman

Birdman, what is "rest of the world" to you? Man... 70% or even more of the world populace have no cultural dependance on US. Take China, India, Indonesia, South America for example. They won't even feel if US goes down. Well, maybe they will feel some economy changes, but that will pass.

Yes, US is kinda "Roman Empire" of today, but Roman Empire didn't control the entire world. Not even half of it.

Back