• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short Story idea

Hello guys.

The story is about a writer whos is obsessed with his new book. He has photofobia and spends most of the time in the room trying to get it finished. He is stuck and still has no ideas for the end of the story. He is so obsessed that the main characters enter in your insane reality and each one of them will try to convince him to write the glorious end for herself.
My idea is that in the end the writer is the protagonist of other person story but i still dont know the ending.

What do you guys think? Confused? Cliche? Thanks

Perusing the posts today n came upon your thread. First awesome idea man. Really psychological stuff just don't make it like Stranger Than Fiction where the fictional writer starts to hear the real writer's voice.

As to how he realizes he's a character in another story...maybe, as a reclusive writer, he's naturally pensive and uberaware of his surroundings. You wouldn't have to stretch too much to plot out subtle discrepancies in his environment while he writes....
....maybe something he writes happens in his life only its the opposite of what he wrote, maybe he is having a recurring dream where he can see the fingers moving at the type writer but the face of the writer is obscured. A dream sequence could be awesome to write, total creative freedom.
Maybe he narrates his story and then it cuts back to him trying to search for a better word or plot device.

Maybe you can have him come to the edge of a cliff while trying(dramatically and frantically to search for meaning and an ending in his work) as he gets closer the horizon reveals more white and so on until he's there, his eyes go wide and he sees only WHITE..."the reality is there is no reality, there is no ending"

Thanks CHamburger. Nice ideas.

He and the other 2 characters are only some story of a real writer (so they're doing what is written by the real writer). So those 2 other guys starts to bug him so much about the ending that he completely freak out and leave home but the real writer story only happen in that house so as the fictional writer opens the door, it's all dark and nowhere to go because that house it's the only world of the story.

Thanks CHamburger. Nice ideas.

He and the other 2 characters are only some story of a real writer (so they're doing what is written by the real writer). So those 2 other guys starts to bug him so much about the ending that he completely freak out and leave home but the real writer story only happen in that house so as the fictional writer opens the door, it's all dark and nowhere to go because that house it's the only world of the story.

Ok and then there's your realization of how he's just a fictional writer and part of a grander picture. Still awesome imagery in the future for your piece. What happens after he leaves his house because his friends(also fictional characters) are bugging him to finish? How long were you planning on making it?

You could just end it with the realization that nothing is real and leave it up to the reader's imagination how he used that information. Maybe that information is the catalyst that helps him finish the novel because he had no real pressure or maybe it does the opposite and he works on crafting the world around him, forgetting his novel.

I like it!

Still, if he opens the door and it's all dark, how he realizes (and we) that he is a character of another writer's story. Why would he think, that only because it's all dark he's in a fictional world?

Well maybe when he opens the door, he realizes that he never remembers actually leaving his house or even moving in. That leads to him not remembering a childhood, and then the parallels between his novel and his life make him realize that he is in fact a character

Maybe he opens the door and walks out into darkness and utter silence where even his soft footsteps echo. That would lead to his confusion and some sort of inquisition as to why outside his house is so damn dark. Maybe this is the mind of the writer really writing the story. He's broken the forth wall by walking through the threshold. Maybe he sees a light far off in the distance and sprints to it only to find that its white. He loses the door because its dark and the door faded. Maybe the writer is struggling with an ending and thus his fictional writer struggles with his ending. Thats why when he leaves the writers setting to get away from his friends, there is nothing beyond whats already been written. Maybe in teh darkness there are whispers of thoughts or idea of teh actual writer echoing in the darkness. He goes crazy trying to converse with them. Which is why he seeks solace in the white light. this would be awesome. You could open up kinda like Darko where he has a dream that foreshadows this event. Maybe he's running and running while the voice whispers "there is no end...etc" Then he wakes to his normal lifeto try and flesh out an ending with his friends bugging him etc.

Thanks guys.

Well he wouldn't realize just by opening the door and see that there is nothing besides that house. It's just to keep him in that " craziness space"but maybe later we will go trought that door.

Last edited:
How about?
He's not able to open the door. Puts all his effort and finally brakes it. He enters a huge dark room. One of the room's walls is a huge computer screen. He walks closer to the the screen. He sees the last minute of his life written on it in a screenplay format. Then, whoever writes on the screen is confused: writes some words, delete them, write something else, delete it. He goes back through the door in the house but leaves the door open so he can see the screen. The writing continues...

That's how he realizes someone is writing his reality

Well basically you'd open up with some surreal dream sequence where something is going on that would foreshadow the realization above. In my head I was picturing it like...black: only whispers "there is no end" "how can that be" "there must be an end" "the reality is no reality" "there is no end" This and similar comments could continue as you character floats around in a world sort of like a limbo. Or maybe he has a flashlight and searches for a way out of the darkness. He can even mention it later to his friends at his house, "I had the wierdest dream" blah blah blah..."dude maybe you;re coming outta the closet" He would wake from the dream into his world only to find out later that his world is the world of his writer.

I thought about foreshadowing too

But before foreshadowing anything, I need to know what am I foreshadowing :lol:

Yea I think OP needs to summarize his story for us a little better so we can help a bit more. From my understanding. Its a writer who is writing a story and cannot for the life of him flesh out a solid ending. He's struggling with it to the point that its kinda eating at him. His friends are over and they're doing their thing while this guy tries to write. But then, when they push him too far and start bugging him about the ending he decides to leave, which is where he would break the door and run out into darkness or the computer screen. I'm thinking kinda like Inception, Shutter island kind of psychological twisting without the action.

If you know that he's not the the real writer and just a character you can foreshadow that, who knows foreshadowing might break into something else and create more ideas.

Back