• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short film, The Box (original title: Laatikko)

Hi.
I study film and television in Finland. Here is the first short film that I made and that I am not ashamed to show off. Enjoy and please give some feedback.
Thanks.

Laatikko - The Box
is a short story about a lonely man who receives a box.
Shot with Sony DCR-TRV33E camcorder (the animation bits with Canon Eos 350D)

All the effects, tracking, masking and color correction was made with after effects.
Man's box was a bit of a challenge to track because I didn't think much about trackin while shooting. The actual trackpoints were at the top corners of the box, right where the gray tape ends. Left trackpoint stayed in place pretty well but the right one went crazy after few seconds. So I corrected its position frame by frame. :)

Very nice, but I'm not exactly sure what I just watched, aha :) I was half expecting the box to look down, see the paper all over the room, and scream for it's fallen brethren. But still, nice, if yet confusing :)

Thanks!

I was half expecting the box to look down, see the paper all over the room, and scream for it's fallen brethren.

Haha. I never thought it that way. That would have been great alternative to the story. Although there was not going to be any paper snowflakes according to the original plan. We just needed somethin to make that boring window to look more interesting. And it got out of hand. :)

Did you experiment with a soundtrack?

Well, not really. My plan was to make all of the sounds in post. That was a big mistake. I didn't have any audio recording equipment with me in the set, only the camera's built-in mic. And I had only about a week time for post production. So I recorded additional foleys in my livingroom with H4 zoom and mixed them together with the audio from the camera (which was awfully noisy). Actually the soundtrack is the only thing I am not completely satisfied, apart from the fact that there isn't enough paper snowlfakes. :D

Back