• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short film idea - Edge of the Coin

A prophet who can see only his own future, and only an hour forward, must stop his son, an ISIS activist, from blowing up a crowded mall.

Premise:
In a fatalistic world where free will is nothing but choosing from the given options, and every choice's outcome is predestined, a prophet who can see only his own future, and only an hour forward, sees his adopted son he hasn't seen for years, now an ISIS activist, attempting to blow up a crowded mall. According to the prophecy, it is him, the prophet, who will be there to kill his son and prevent the explosion, and the alternative option is not to kill his son, but let hundreds of people die in the mall, including his wife who works there. Two sides of the coin. But what if there is a third option, the "edge of the coin", which would allow the prophet to save his son AND his wife with all the people in the mall?

P.S.
Since Sci-Fi is my favorite genre, I decided to film Sci-Fi. I've already seen how can a Sci-Fi be made without making it look "Marvelish" and tons of money. A good example is Another Earth.

So, your thoughts?

Last edited:
I enjoyed the film when I saw it.

p166715_p_v7_ab.jpg

Yes, this is close to that idea. The difference is that in my idea the protagonist sees 2 possible outcomes of his own choices, and he can choose one of them. No other options.

I'll post the synopsis soon.

Did you ever read Dune: Messiah?
(It's the second, rather short book in the Dune series.)

Muad'Dib/Paul keeps looking into the future (using the spice) to find a way to save his family without setting the complete universe on fire with the Jihad his Freemen followers have already spread to several planets. As time passes there seems to be only one option left with the least negative outcome...

Did you ever read Dune: Messiah?
(It's the second, rather short book in the Dune series.)

Muad'Dib/Paul keeps looking into the future (using the spice) to find a way to save his family without setting the complete universe on fire with the Jihad his Freemen followers have already spread to several planets. As time passes there seems to be only one option left with the least negative outcome...

Yes, that's what comes before the Children of Dune?
My intention is to make the protagonist affect his son's choice, make him choose NOT to blow up the mall, which would in turn cancel the protag's need to choose between his son and all the people in the mall. His son has a good reason to blow up the mall as well. When I'll post the synopsis you'll see what I mean.

Edge of the Coin - Synopsis

Code:
Avi is a prophet who works for the police and knows that there is no "free will" - 
people can choose from the given options, but all the outcomes of whatever 
they choose are predestined. Avi himself can see no more than one hour into 
the future, and only his own future. 

One day he sees Muhammad, his adopted son he hasn't seen for years, now 
an ISIS activist, is going to blow up a mall, where Avi's wife works, otherwise 
ISIS would kill his girlfriend. According to that "prophecy", Avi is going to be 
there to kill his son, before the latter presses the button to activate the bomb. 
The alternative choice is that Avi won't be there, but his wife will die in the 
exploding mall, and Muhammad will live.

Ilana, a cop, plans to arrest Muhammad, but Avi tries to convince her to quit
the idea, because "she can't prevent the fate". He tells her that no matter how 
many times he tried, he failed to prevent ISIS from kidnapping his adopted son 
Muhammad and brainwashing him with their ideology. 

(FLASHBACK) A minute before the kidnapping, Avi tells the young Muhammad 
that people's choices are like 2 sides of a coin, where there are already given 
options to choose from, and that the third option that helps avoiding the initial 
choice, is like a paradox when a thrown coin lays on its edge - impossible. 

However, Ilana doesn't listen to Avi and arrests Muhammad before he arrives
to the mall. A few minutes later, another ISIS activist, that helped backing up
Muhammad, kills Ilana and frees Muhammad to continue his mission. 

Avi decides to do what he never wanted to - asks the "Almighty" (interpretation 
of God) to help him avoid the terrible choice he has to make. However, the latter
explains him that he is far not almighty, but just a watcher, a sentinel, and 
that the power of choice, despite its limits, lies in the hands of humans. He 
tells Avi that even if Avi can't decide for Muhammad whether to blow up the
mall or not, but he still can affect his choice without meeting him.

When Muhammad arrives to the mall to set up the bomb, Avi sees him from a
roof, waits till Muhammad reaches a small pile of sand, and throws a coin. 
Muhammad sees as the coin lands on the sand and gets stuck in the sand, in
standing position, as if it has landed on the edge. Muhammad remembers his 
father's words about the paradox of the "Edge of the Coin". He picks up the 
coin and sees the word "HOPE"written on it with a marker. 

Muhammad glances up to see who has thrown the coin, but Avi hides just in 
time. Muhammad decides not to cancel his mission, stop working for ISIS, and
try to save his girlfriend from their hands.

Last edited:
Back