• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting talent by window - any tips?

Hi

Shooting our first feature on a Canon 6D with Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8, and Canon 1.8 50mm.

Yesterday we shot a scene with the talent by a window (they're inside apartment, by large windows, looking out) - lots of sun streaming through.

The footage looks far from great... Either the talent is under-exposed or the sky is over-exposed and blown out.

We tried 2x and 3x softboxes on the talent - 5x 60w perfect day light bulbs 5500K (60w CFL= 300W output) per softbox.

The softboxes showing up as reflections on the windows was a major headache.

Also tried a variable ND filter (talent was way too dark).

Obviously tried various combinations of ISO and aperture.

We'll try to re-shoot in a few days...

...Going to try a polarizer filter

...Also going to try to shoot first thing in morning and around 6-7pm when the sun should be much weaker where we are

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Note these folks have a solution but theirs involves a $5k+ light rig:

Film Scene : Shooting a Video Interview Against a Window
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWHQOXWf0gU

We have a max of 5x softboxes available.

Last edited:
You know the basic concept. Either light the talent more or somehow minimize the light coming in the window.

On big shoots they will put ND filters on the windows themselves. Depending on how expensive they are, that might be easier than adding more light.

I don't think 300w is enough to battle full daylight. I'd probably grab one of those cheap 1000w work light duos and throw a CTB filter in front of it, and maybe a large sheet (far away, these lights get HOT) in front to prevent glare (if you need it).

This is a short I did a long time ago with the talent in front of bright daylight windows. I just threw one 500w work light in front and, while the windows are still a little blown out, it's minimized and the talent is still fully exposed. Doubling that and adjusting ISO should get the desired result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZJAqMXcYU&t=4m4s

at some point of the day the area outside the window should be in shade, that will help a LOT. Though this might not fit your story..

vertical blinds\window treatment might be a quick easy solution. Might be a dramatic look.

For about $150, you can get a 100' roll of window film from your local hardware store. Look for the heat-control window film, for nd-ish. You can cover your windows with it to cut the amount of light coming in the windows. You can also get more accurate nd shades from an online expendables store, but prolly not in time for your re-shoot. Make sure you allocate the time to properly trim & apply it.

Depending on how much sidewalk/exterior space is available outside the window, you could rig up a shade-producing cover of some kind. If you're on ground level, that is.

Good luck :)

The other thing I've seen done, is smoke the room up. It adds some dramatic flair, and if there is enough distance between the subject and the window, the added smoke will cut down on both the brightness of the outside and the quality of the reflections.

CraigL

If the actor is standing still, you can shoot the plate twice and comp them together.

1) Lock-off the camera & DO NOT MOVE IT.
2) Plate #1: Expose for interior
3) Plate #2: Expose for exterior
4) Roto interior plate into exterior plate.

This isn't a beginner technique, but if you want to learn how to do a composite, this is the shot for you.

Thomas

Lighting to balance the outside is probably going to involve fairly expensive gear, as others have noted it's far cheaper to ND the window to cut down the incoming light. Surprised no one's mentioned a reflector though - instead of fighting the incoming light, use it to your advantage. The collapsable type are pretty commonly available, not too expensive ($50-100 depending on size), and work reasonably well for indoor work. The super cheap alternative is to pick up a poor-man's shiny board - a sheet of radiant barrier foam, 4'x8' boards run about $20 at your local home improvement store. Stand that up opposite the window and you should get plenty of light bouncing back at your subject - still need to be careful of reflections in the window of course.

ND gel the window
Use bounce boards to fill

Or: expose for what needs to be exposed.

Don't be afraid of blowing highlights or clipping blacks. I mean, as long as it works within the story ;)

Also, kill the reflections by lighting from above - it sounds like you're just trying to fill the room with enough light to get a bit of exposure on the back of the talent, so light from above and all the reflections of the lights will be gone. A Pola isn't going to kill those kinds of reflections.

Then, expose for the face, and let the sky be a little over, and the inside a little under.

Shooting on an overcast day will help too.

Last edited:
Does the actor ever actually stand in front of, or cross in front of the window?

They do. She's actually beside the window for the whole take.

Are you running Magic Lantern on your 6D? If so, have you tried the HDR function?

No but we're using a Small HD AC7 field monitor which shows over and under-exposed highlights etc.

http://www.smallhd.com/products/ac7/specs.html

It was telling me the window was pretty badly blown out.

Don't be afraid of blowing highlights or clipping blacks. I mean, as long as it works within the story ;)

Very true.

Lots of great advice from you folks. :) :) :)

I'm sure I'll be able to get the shot now thanks to you all.

Last edited:
Even if half the actors face is underexposed in order not to expose the window so much, sometimes shadows look cool. If I get a lot of shadow in my lighting, sometimes I would just go with it, cause shadows look cool. But it all depends on how yours looks.

Back