• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting slow motion with a t3i

hey guys,it's been a couple of hours since I just bought my T3i.
Now I'm just trying to have some fun with it.I want to shoot a nice slow motion video montage with it.All I know is that,I have set it at a higher frame rate.But when I do,the max I get is 50fps.How do I make it 60fps?
Also,I just tried slowing some down footage which I shot at 50fps.So basically,I went on to Premier Pro,gave a name for the project,and in settings tab,I chose custom option and made the time base as 50 fps. But it looks kinda choppy.Where did I go wrong?

The way ive done slowmo in Premiere Pro before is to have a sequence of 25fps then drag the clip onto the timeline and right click -> speed/duration and set it to 50%.

To get higher framerates you can use plugins that estimate the missing frames. The only one I have used is Twixtor plugin for After Effects which has varying degrees of sucess.

Last edited:
50fps because your camera is set to pal, change it to NTSC and youl get 60, I have the camera so I should know

Phillip bloom has a blog covering this very well search for it

I just tried slowing some down footage which I shot at 50fps.So basically,I went on to Premier Pro,gave a name for the project,and in settings tab,I chose custom option and made the time base as 50 fps. But it looks kinda choppy.Where did I go wrong?

You should be able to set your camera to shoot at 60fps, at a resolution of 720p. (It can be stretched pretty well, to larger project dimensions)

You then take the recorded footage and place it in a "normal" speed timeline. (Normal being 23.976 here; yours may vary)

Ta-da. :cool:

You won't be able to get 60fps as you've got a Pal version of the camera which only shoots at 24fps, 25fps and 50fps. The project in premiere should be a standard HD project of 25fps. Once you put the footage in it will play normally, to slow it down right click and click speed/duration. Following this adjust it to 50% which will play at the capture speed (slow motion)

Last edited:
You won't be able to get 60fps as you've got a Pal version of the camera which only shoots at 24fps, 25fps and 50fps. The project in premiere should be a standard HD project of 25fps. Once you put the footage in it will play normally, to slow it down right click and click speed/duration. Following this adjust it to 50 or 200, I've currently had a mind blank will check soon

You change the settings to pal or NTSC in camera so you can get both framerates

Back