Shooting In Public/Liscence?

I don't think i've introudced myself. My name is Rob and I want to give props to all the film makers out there looking to market their creation and put their mark on this world. A couple questions that have been getting at me when I had the idea to shoot in certain places.

So I talk to the James Rouse Corp. (City Board) and Columbia Association. And see if I can film at a certain location (stripmall). I'm assuming they'd shove some legal shit in my face and since I am young, I will be turned over. Will I need any forms of certification and/or liscences to credit myself for filming?

It seems as if you have to have a liscence for EVERYTHING.

I've been masterbating without a liscence, thankgod I haven't gotten caught yet.

Anyone that has information on filming in public and simply curving their way around legal issues? Please help me. I'd appriciate it if you could contact me via AIM : "Blindparadox1027" . If possible, if not, don't sweat. But I was hoping someone would have experience with this dilemma.

Good luck to all

Peace.

- Rob

Being the chairman of the IUM (Illegal Use of Masterbation), i have reported you to authorities. As for filming in public... woh what a problem. You've got one big obsticle in your way... public liability. I'd say as long as your not blocking of buisy roads or running around shopping centers with fake guns, dont worry about going to the trouble of a permit.

Actually, you need a permit (contact your local film and television office) to shoot in a public place. At least that's the case here in Nashville, TN. If you're caught without a permit, you can get fined. If it's private property, you need to get the property owners consent. Finally, if a company storefront will be used, you need the consent of the company as far as I've been told. That's what I've had to do here, so I don't know how it is where you are.

you would need permission from every store for their storefront to appear in the film. (They probably will want to know what it's about and in what way they'd be shown) Also you'll definately want to secure a filming permit and notify the appropriate authorities beforehand, so no one calls in that there are some crazies running around with guns. Otherwise you might find yourself in the middle of a scene suddenly surrounded by police pointing REAL LOADED guns at you. The permit very likely will also require having insurance, and you may be required to have some safety personnel on hand as well. Working with guns real or not should never be taken lightly.

Good luck.

In my town, there's no film office or permits needed. BUT if I shoot anything from a store sign to a Nike logo on a hat or shirt, I need written permission from the owner of that logo.

It all depends on how "legal" you want or need to be. If you're showing this on your website, who's gonna see it and call Nike and tell them that their logo is in your movie, slim chance.
On the other hand, if it's going to film festivals and released to DVD or theater, you need written permission from everyone and everything shown on the screen. You can't just go to a mall and videotape people and then use that in your film without their permission. Well, you CAN, but you can get your @ss sued by each person and logo owner.

It's a risk management issue. What are the risks of getting caught?
You weigh the risks and determine if you accept the risk or not.

I would love to send this to festivals, not to mention, the music in my film... I'd probably need some permission with that as well. Who'd say no for these things? If anything it would promote their product.

That's true... and you NEVER know unless you ask... I've asked and I've received more than I expected. You need to have a plan and show, whoever, your plan and why you need their logo, song, etc...

To send it to a festival, you need releases from all people on camera, logos, property owners, and you should get a contract between you and your crew as well...

You might be making this with your friends, but 8 years down the road, your friend may not be your friend and might sue you because you're showing a movie that he was in without permission... It happened. Check out http://SonnyBoo.com and READ and DOWNLOAD... There's a LOT of help there for filmmakers. Especially noobs!
I learned a great deal there, as well as here on IndieTalk.

Another question along the same lines.

If I want to shoot an interior in a store or an apartment, would I need clearance from just the tenent or the property owner as well?

Hmm good question...

I would think only the tenent of property owner but don't quote me on that! Anyone here more familiar with this?

If everything in contained inside the apartment, you should be fine, but if you have anything outside the apartment (cables, lights, storage, holding area, trucks) you should get permission from the landlord. You will of course, have to have insurance, or you will get a big "no". :)

Insurance for what? I know that sounds weird, but everyone is talking insurance this, insurance that. Is their a geico for indie film? Intsead of the gecko it;d be like a three toed sloth or something.

You need someone to help you with production. Who is the Producer?

1) Find out if you need insurance to shoot at the mall.
2) If so, I gave you the link where you can purchase it. It will cost around $600 for 12 days.

Looks like Rob has finished with his line of questioning so I am going to usurp this thread since I have some questions of my own regarding license, clearances et al.

I am interested to know how you all handle the issue of location clearance when you are filming your shorts. And I am talking about the shorts that have a budget ranging from the amount of change you can find in between the cushions on your couch to a modest budget of a couple of hundred dollars for film and developing, but not the kind of budget that allows for six hundred clams for insurance.

It seems to me that first thing you would do is stay out of the mall. However I imagine a filmmaker would eventually tire of their living room and back yard and want to venture out into the world. Now I understand that getting location agreements and personal releases are always a good idea but is it always neccesary for a short film thats primary purpose will be for submission to festivals? I would also like to know how you handle location agreements when your budget just doesn't allow for insurance. Do you stay away from certain types of locations? Have you ever been told no because you didn't have insurance? Do you throw caution to the wind and go gorrilla? And if gorrilla is your style does that effect entrance into festivals?

I think that should do it for now.

Mikey D

Back