• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting HDV for 35mm blowup

hello all! I am due to start shooting a feature length film on HDV. We will be going for a 35mm for theatrical release. Any suggestions? Any points/experiences to keep in mind?

talk to the printing house you'll use to do the film out and ask them what they want for best results...ask them for samples as well so you can make a decision based on actual output.

thats something I have considered and am doing. I have heard shooting at higher shutter speeds to avoid motion artifacts that occur due to HDV compression, shooting at -3DB to reduce electronic noise etc and stuff like that. Anyone had any problems on Sound recorded on the camera? is it advisable to record audio separately?

How does shooting at higher shutter speeds reduct motion artifacts? I don't think higher shutter speeds are going to help the overall look of the production. It generally gives a strobing, stop-motion look when projected at 24 fps.

Someone slap me, if I'm off base here.

thats something I have considered and am doing. I have heard shooting at higher shutter speeds to avoid motion artifacts that occur due to HDV compression, shooting at -3DB to reduce electronic noise etc and stuff like that. Anyone had any problems on Sound recorded on the camera? is it advisable to record audio separately?
I have never heard that shooting at a higher shutter speed avoids motion artifacts. If that's what you lab told you, then it's best to follow their instruction.

Since shooting DV for 35mm blow up is so specific to the camera, lighting set up and lab the only advice that's really going to make a difference is knightly's. Work closely with the lab. Do tests.

My preference is to record all the production tracks separate from the camera. That way the recordist can ride the levels while recording, affording more control.

my apologies for making a somewhat incomplete post about the shutter speed, butthis is what I had read:

Shoot at Higher Shutter Speed if You're Panning A Lot
Shoot higher shutter speeds than 50/60 if you intend on making fast pans or tilts. The MPEG compression format does not lend itself well to high speed pans or tilts with lower shutter speeds. Practice shooting with slower shutter speeds for the beautiful effects this can provide if you know in advance what you’re looking for.

from
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/searchlist/5451.html

as for the Lab, I havent spoken to them yet as the production is still in negotiation with a few labs, and I am not sure yet which one is going to get the job. its all about the budgets, and my favourite lab is also amongst the most expensive.

One movie I would recommend all to watch is 'Personal Velocity', shot most beautifully by Ellen Kuras, ASC (Dir: Rebecca Miller). I am yet to see Bamboozled.

thanks for all the inputs.

Fast pans and tilts are generally a bad idea for 24p, anyway. I'd keep the shutter speed closer to a film shutterspeed (e.g. 1/50 or 1/60 sec) for more natural looking motion, and keep panning speeds down to those recommended for shooting film at 24 fps. For those who would say "fix it in post", fake motion blur is never as good as the real thing.

Just my 2 cents. You should always do test shots.

A couple of experienced online editors told me that HD look spretty damn good on a big screen. Have fun saving $250,000 by avoiding film. Agreed about avoiding fast pans. Also don't shoot at the sun with video.

Back