Shooting an entire feature in a weekend

Haven't been on here too much lately. But I read an article a couple months ago over on Web Film School about shooting an entire feature film in a weekend. ONE weekend, not just filming on the weekends over the course of a few months or a year. And it was like a lightbulb turned on over my head. It was an instant "I can totally do this" moment.

I'm going for it. Script is done. Schedule is getting there. Budget is mostly done (other than a few TBD items). All the breakdowns and other pre-production stuff is happening (Arri's Yamdu web app, btw, is amazing. It even works with Celtx format scripts to get everything set up. And has a free 60-day trial, and then a super barebones subscription for $5/month after that). Casting is underway. Location scouting is in progress. Working on crew.

It's one location, five on-screen characters (two more who are on the other end of a phone calls, but will never appear on screen, and their parts will be recorded separately). No costume changes. Set in the 90 minutes leading up to a wedding after the bride locks herself in the bathroom.

Absolutely barebones crew (1st AD, a couple of PAs, someone experienced on audio, crafty, and a script supervisor. I also may have someone acting as a co-producer who will be getting behind-the-scenes stuff, depending on if I can get one of the actors I want). Everyone's getting paid at least a couple hundred per day (much easier when you're only shooting for 2 days) plus backend points, and travel and lodging if they're coming from outside the immediate area. Crowdfunding part of the very small budget (under $10k, final amount at this point will depend on how many cast/crew are traveling) and paying for the rest out of pocket.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to DP and direct. Unless I happen to find a DP I'm completely in sync with. Mostly because it minimizes time taken for communication and making sure my ideas are being captured in a way that conveys what I want to convey (I've DP'd on everything I've done before, and am very comfortable in this role). Going to use natural/practical light as much as possible (this is being taken into account when location scouting).

I realize this is crazy. I'm also more energized for this project than I've been for anything (film or otherwise) in a long time. It's a one-off kind of thing. Not a model I'd plan to replicate in the future. But if (when) I pull it off, it'll be an impressive calling card for getting my next feature made. And I feel like if I'm going to invest $10k and a few months, I'd rather walk away with a feature than a short.

Advice and encouragement welcome, as are questions about specifics (including things I may not have thought of).

ETA: The bar for quality on this thing is GEFN (Good Enough For Netflix). In other words, better than a 1-2 star Netflix film.

Audio is high on my priority list. I can do a lot with crappy footage to make it work. I cannot do much (anything) with crappy audio to make it work. And that's why I'll be hiring the best person I can afford to handle that end of things. I'm hoping that the idea behind the project will be enough to get someone who's crazy talented to give up a weekend for much less than their normal rate. Time will tell!

If you have any questions, or want me to do a background check on this so called "Audio Pro"... let me know.

I'm like a protective hick father protecting his teenage daughter on prom night when I see other people hire other audio guys... :)

If you have any questions, or want me to do a background check on this so called "Audio Pro"... let me know.

I'm like a protective hick father protecting his teenage daughter on prom night when I see other people hire other audio guys... :)

I'm so stressed about audio, because I realize how important it is and yet I have zero knowledge about it outside of the very basics. I don't even have a great ear for it. Luckily one of my best friends is a music producer, so at least I can go to him and be like "does this sound good?" and he can tell me yes or no.

Good Luck, Cam. I am doing a similar challenge. I PMed you some of the "Rules" we are following.

And just as soon as I get a second I'm going to PM you back! Been a busy weekend!

In other news, I reached out to a real estate agent about two potential locations (I had tried tracking down the owner of one, but he lives out of state and the letter I mailed was returned as undeliverable). He's going to get in touch with his clients! So hopefully one of them will come through for me.

Back